Thread: My Universe
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #29
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907 Fight of Year Candidate

OK, I expected it to be awhile before my next post, waiting until I completed all the 1907 bouts in my uni but occasionally there comes around a memorable fight that transcends everything and I am up through March '07 now and wanted to file a report on such a bout while it was still fresh in my mind.

The date in March 23, 1907, the scene is Los Angeles CA, the bout is between two 11 thru 20 ranked contenders in the talent-laded Lightweight division, a 10-rounder on the undercard of the World Light Heavy title bout between Philly Jack O'Brien and the aforementioned CBU and GBU champ TC Jeremy McWatt (O'Brien disposed of McWatt inside the distance, yet McWatt still clings to a Top 5 ranking!). In one corner is Young Erne, former NABF champ sporting a 22-7-3 record with enough time left in his career to make a mark. Same is true for his opponent, Kid Fredericks, similarly situated with a 19-11-1 record. It's a true "crossroads" bout for both. In fact, it's also a bout with a revenge factor as three years earlier in Frisco Fredericks took Young Erne's NABF crown with a 3-round KO, only to lose the crown in his next bout. It's also a classic boxer versus slugger matchup, with Young Erne representing the slick boxer-counterpuncher type and Fredericks representing the power puncher with KO capability.

The bout starts slow, and the first couple of rounds are uneventful. Then in rounds 3 and 4, Fredericks steps up the pace, moving inside and launching a series of strong punches. Young Erne goes down twice, once more he is cut, bleeding, and one eye starts to swell .... I am about to pencil in a W for Fredericks at this point, but Young Erne rallies at just past the halfway point, and in round 6 he catches an overly-aggressive Fredericks to put him on the canvas. Fredericks can't handle all the punishment and in a dramatic turnaround, the result is a TKO 6 for Young Erne, avenging the loss three years earlier and moving himself up to the Top 10 in the Lightweight picture.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote