View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Hard-Luck Hanshin
Bat Boy

I have no problem with fictional players per se, although I am concerned about what I have read regarding fictional players tending to eclipse historical players. It seems true of most sports games I play that the players the game creates tend to develop insane potential relative to the real players.

Based on Baseball-Reference, I probably won't start adding minor leagues until 1919, since it seems that is when affiliations started (or at least when a record started being kept). I'm going to try and use the historical leagues (International, Pacific) but will probably just fill them with fictional players. Heaven help me, since even though I have the game set to create 99% American players, I have a suspicion they'll be an ahistorical mix of ethnicities.

The only super annoying thing I have found is that even though you can set percentages for nationality when it comes to facegen, you can't seem to do anything in regards to race for players, and cannot do anything about fictional pictures for coaches in terms of either nationality or race. So in 1905 I have teams owned or coached by black and Latin guys with ahistorical names like "Kevin" and "Omar." It's not hard to manually change these things before the start of every season, but it's still a pain.

I also noticed that when I created a 1998 historical game, every single player that didn't have a "special" face (typically the big name players) was white. So I'm going through each of the rosters using Baseball-Reference to change the pictures so that guys like Rickey Henderson and Cecil Fielder are African-American, Latin and Japanese guys are Hispanic and Asian, etc. It seems kind of crazy to me that so much time would be spent on getting historically accurate rosters and stats, but no one bothered to note Mac Suzuki is Asian and not a white guy.
Hard-Luck Hanshin is offline   Reply With Quote