View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 01:36 AM   #11
3fbrown
Major Leagues

300 Game Winners

The Replay League has had 11 300-game winners in its history. Since no active pitcher even has 200 wins (Bill Gullickson has 199, Scott McGregor 198, and Andy Rincon 197), this total should not change anytime soon. I will briefly run through this list.

Bob Feller: 401
I have talked about Feller in detail already. He is the greatest of all time.

Mike O’Neill: 354
I also talked about O’Neill before. He was the greatest of all time, until Bob Feller came along.

Paul Dean: 331
The wrong Dean brother here, with the long career. He did not have a very high peak, but was consistently good and very durable for a long time. He pitched for the Philadelphia Athletics, and his career overlapped almost exactly with Feller, so he only won one CY Award. Ranks second to Feller in bulk stats like games started and innings pitched. Ranks first in less glamorous stats like hits and runs allowed, by a lot. His 285 losses is second all-time.

Erv Palica: 318
Like a better version of Paul Dean. Played for Cleveland in four decades: 1948-1970. Consistently very good, won the 1962 CY Award despite having better seasons immediately before and after that year. Nine-time all-star, very durable - led the league in starts four times. Low in black ink but has loads of gray ink.

Harry Coveleski: 317
The wrong Coveleski brother here, with 16 strong years for Cleveland. Rarely missed a start, and rarely walked anyone.

Nick Maddox: 314
How unimpressive were his 314 wins? He was inducted into the HOF … just this past election in 1993. It took him 67 years to convince me that he was worthy. Pure bulk, his ERA is over 3.00 despite pitching in the deadball era. Looking at his stats now, I’m not sure what he did to be so successful. He wasn’t incredibly durable, often missing a bunch of starts. He wasn’t just collecting decisions, as his record was an excellent 314-226. It wasn’t that he pitched for great teams - he most played for the New York Yankees, a thoroughly unimpressive team during his time there. He was just a good pitcher for a long time. To his credit, he did win the 1923 CY Award, though his season looks like the same solidly above-average season he had 14 other years.

Dutch Leonard: 313
This is the original, left-handed Dutch Leonard, pitching from 1913-1931. He bounced around a bit - pitched his rookie season in Boston for the Red Sox, then off to the Giants for four years, to the Cubs for two years, back to the Giants for three more years, one year in Pittsburgh, then finally eight years in Boston with the Braves. His best years were actually his later years with the Braves. He won CY Awards in 1926 and 1928, at ages 34 and 36. His age 34 year was his best, as he went 27-3 with a 1.98 ERA in a pretty high-offense year.

Johnny Lush: 312
The slightly richer man’s Nick Maddox. Pitched 22 years in the majors, mostly with the Giants, but with a five year stint in Boston with the Braves in the middle. Won a single CY Award at age 35 in Boston. Walked nobody, didn’t lose very often.

Early Wynn: 304
19 year career entirely with the Giants. Was the dominant strikeout pitcher of his time, leading his league nine consecutive years. Maybe the best strikeout pitcher ever, until he was surpassed by guys coming up at the end of his career like Koufax and Score. Won 3 CY Awards, and lost only 190 games. Had a weakness allowing HRs, but was great at everything else.

Frank Owen: 302
Another Boston American that was discussed previously. Very good pitcher, with very good teammates.

Johnny Podres: 300
Pitched his entire career for the Braves. For the first ⅔ of his career, the team was in Milwaukee, and his stats were great. Led the league in ERA twice and wins and starts three times each. When the team moved to Atlanta in 1966, his stats got worse. Milwaukee County Stadium was a pitcher’s park, while Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was a hitter’s park. Also, the Milwaukee teams were very good (especially on defense) while the Atlanta teams were notably worse. Was he a home ballpark illusion and overrated? After a lot of consideration, no. His WAR didn’t dramatically drop immediately when the team moved, it moved steadily downhill. He got worse because he was getting old. One CY Award. His last three years he was a marginal pitcher, but I kept him around because the team wasn’t great, and I wanted to get him to 300 wins.
3fbrown is offline   Reply With Quote