View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Even with recalc (plus development), strange things can happen. In my league Griffey Sr. was a better player than Griffey Jr., and Rod Carew wasn't quite the force he was IRL and of course Babe Ruth coming in at age 34 spoiled his chances of a HoF career. Craig Biggio came in at 32, and lost his shot too. So did Robinson Cano (age 31 when he entered) who I think is headed for the HoF. Bobby Grich (who I think belongs IRL) came in at 29. Keith Hernandez (a very underrated guy IRL) came in at 23, and wasn't able to make it. Eddie Mathews sadly was 31 in that inaugural draft class. So was Minnie Minoso. Tim Raines Sr. was 29 in that draft. Sammy Sosa was 33. Joe Torre (should've been in as a player IRL IMHO) was 28. Mordecai Brown entered at 35. SS George Davis came in at 24 and was never quite as impactful as IRL. Bobby Doerr was 28 etc etc. You get the picture. Sometimes HoF types just don't live up to their RL selves or they come in too late in their careers to live up to their RL selves.

However guys like Rocky Colavito, Darryl Strawberry, Jim Fregosi, Michael Wacha, Alex Cobb, Johnny Callison, Nomar Garciaparra, Ewell Blackwell, Dennis Leonard, Dutch E Leonard, Ken Caminiti, Paul Goldschmidt, Lon Warneke, Norm Cash, Victor Martinez, Duane Ward, and some dude named Tillie Shafer stepped up to bridge the HoF gap. Yes it's sad to watch a big name HoF guy miss out due to the age scatter that's needed for the inaugural draft, but guys will always step up out of nowhere to become HoFers.

I now have 36 HoFers through the 42 year dynasty. The first one (Zack Greinke) went in in 1919, so including the 1943 HoF class, that's 25 potential classes and 36 players (1.44 per potential class), which is a pretty decent rate IMHO. I've had 2 classes of 4 players, 3 classes of 3 players and the rest have been 2, 1, or 0. The RL HoF has now elected 220 players to the HoF in 82 different classes (2.68 players per class), but remember not all of them have had the 75.0% threshold that the writer's ballot forces them to surpass. There have been 124 players brought in by the writer's ballot, which is 1.51 players per class, which is much closer to mine. That 75.0% threshold is really tricky. Some of the RL HoFers were "Friends of Frankie Frisch" and came in through the Veterans Committee when he was in charge.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-18-2017 at 06:24 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote