View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Playing time according to real life.

One thing that continues to baffle me when it comes to OOTP and historical play is how the AI decides lineups and pitching rotations. For example, I started a 1901 historical replay. I selected single season replay(1 year recalc) with development off. I also chose to use real transactions. Let's look at the Tigers. The real life Tigers had 4 pitchers make the majority of the starts in 1901. They were Roscoe Miller(36 starts), Ed Siever(33), Jack Cronin(28) and Joe Yeager(25). Emil Frisk made 7 starts and Frank Owen made 5. Frisk and Owen both had identical 4.34 era's,whips above 1.60 much worse than the above listed starters. So I take a look at the OOTP Tigers and the rotation setup by the AI. It has Roscoe Miller, Ed Siever, Emil Frisk and Frank Owen in that order, with Cronin and Yeager in the bullpen. This make little to no sense at all. I can somewhat accept Frisk, as he leaves the team in July, so either Yeager or Cronin would take his place(I assume this, but Ed High with 1 whole start under his belt might get selected).

Stuff like this wouldn't bug me in a draft league, but in leagues using real transactions, it bugs the daylights out of me. I know OOTP doesn't know names, but I simply see no explanation how Frisk or Owen could be selected for the rotation based on their poor showings in real life.

I wonder if the time has come for OOTP to add a real usage meter to the game. Again, I think something like this would be hard to use in draft leagues, but when the rosters are set to real life, a device like this could come in handy.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote