View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

How to evaluate pitchers and efficiently use them?

Now (being a Baseball newbie) after playing half a season of OOTP 13 I am still enthused and slowly get a feel of the game.

One thing that still baffles me (despite having success) is how to evaluate the worth of pitchers and how to use each one effectively.

How important are the ratings (Pitcher overall, Stuff, Movement, Control, each pitch type and Stamina)?

Starting Pitchers
AFAIK you want your best players to start (with Stuff, Movement, and Control being high). They should have decent Stamina (50+ ?) and a good plethora of high-rated pitches.

What value is most important (ST, MOV, CON)?
What pitches or combination of pitches are most important for a SP?
Does he need to have four different ones, or are three or even two enough?

Middle Relievers
These would be the same as SP (ideally), but with less Stamina, or diminished Ratings (compared to the SPs)

Closer
Somebody who can make sure in the decisive 9th inning that you get a 0 for the opponent. He'd need great Control, good Stuff and a fast Fastball. Does he?

Changing Roles
Imagine I have a high-Stamina pitcher with three decent pitches that is tagged as a CL. Under what circumstances should I redesignate him as a SP or MR? Are there any hard and quick rules?

Assigning your pitching line-up
In the end, how do I decide the pitching line-up (sure, I can let the manager do it, but I want to KNOW ;-))? Especially the multiple MR positions confuse me a bit...

It'd be very helpful for somebody much more knowledgeable than me to explain how this all works. Thank you!
AstaSyneri is offline   Reply With Quote