View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #72
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

League Update

When I contracted the league to 28 teams I also reconfigured the AAA system to two 14 team leagues. I chose to make an East/West configuration with no "interleague" play.

In doing this I used the location of the minor league teams, not the location of the major league teams. Somehow I managed to remove the affiliation of the Washington Nationals and that team was dominating since those players were not getting called up. I don't believe it is coincidence that the Nationals were having a rough go of it.

Though I did not intend for this to happen, it did happen. I will chalk this up as a similarity to the gross mismanagement of the Expos/Nationals while under the ownership of MLB.

I affiliated the team and the Nationals immediately executed a trade and revamped its major league roster.

User error on my part, but an interesting discovery (for me, at least) on how the game operates.

----------------------------------

I am just past the All Star break and somehow I am only three games out of first place (Two 7 team divisions in each league, no WC). The average number of players per team on the injury list still holds around 5, but I have 13...mostly pitchers. My rotation is horrid, but my bullpen has been busy and spectacular. The Stripes are one of three teams that do not play in a neutral park (there were four, but Austin, the former Brewers, was contracted). The Stripes play in a very pitching friendly environment. That may be my salvation.

Using the objective standards I devised for team strategy re rebuild/neutral/win now, the Stripes have gone from rebuild, at the start of the season, to neutral at Memorial Day, to Win Now at July 4.

With all the difficulties the team has had, and the fact that way more often than not the pitching match-up indicates a bad outlook for my team, and that my team is 14th of 14 in runs scored, the season has been made very exciting.

Doug Rader spent a month on the DL, but is hitting better than .300. On the other hand, Stan Musial did not sign with the team that used the first overall pick to sign him. Perhaps not getting the opportunity to draft him has turned out to be a plus.

The first player I drafted when I took over the team the year before was Richie Zisk. Zisk has been an All Star twice and is currently leading the league in hitting (around .360) while playing in the pitching friendly Stripes stadium. The Indianapolis park does increase doubles and triples, slightly, but BA and HRs are severely depressed.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote