View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #80
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem810 View Post
I like Malzone, but, he hasn't really demonstrated the art of control. But, not sure either of two will outshine him in that area. Barr is pretty good if you need a Long Relief guy.
I agree with your assessments. Very much about nibbling around the edges of talent here with these three. Not likely any of the three will ever become terribly useful major leaguers. But I decided to enter the season with 7 relievers, particularly with one of my five starting pitchers (Montefusco) being fragile (and often injured during the 1965 season) and another (Campos) showing signs of potential very goodness if not really greatness but still also likely to have several outings at this point where he gets shelled early.

The other thing that I am working out regarding this project is how I want to approach decisions in terms of balancing out performance on the field with what I know (given limitations of how much to trust my scout, things unseen, and random talent change, etc.) about the players beyond that. What I'm trying to say is that the most logical action for me to take is to keep Malzone and demote (or trade, whatever) the other two. But given recent on-field performances (partial 1965 Brewers season, AFL, and Spring Training) it feels to me like a team might be more likely to give a guy like Schmidt a try and let Malone marinate in AAA a bit. Given that Schmidt is 25 and Malzone 21 (as is Barr), makes that even more likely.
When I first started playing OOTP (not long ago) I was all about mastering the game and WINNING! I took over the 1993 Colorado Rockies and made a flurry of moves, for several seasons of play, and before long winning was the norm. Turns out, when you have the hindsight of knowing how players careers actually turned out IRL, it isn't that hard to win.
With the Denver Brewers and the WPK, I will be disappointed if winning comes that easily. It's not that I want (necessarily) to make bad moves and have a losing record, but I want to make moves that feel both mostly smart and organic in the baseball context of the league.

And, in a way, I want to play experiment a bit with the game engine. I want to see if it matters if I send Malzone down to AAA a bit. For better or for worse. I want to sometimes (at least) make the less logical move just to see what happens then.
And I very much want to (again, within reason) make decisions based upon emotions at least part of the time. So I will have favorite players and I might play them/keep them longer than I should. And the team might suffer as a result. And that's okay. Because I will be having fun.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote