View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 02:17 AM   #128
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Grande Orange
I'd like to see home field advantage get put in. As it stands now, each team's home and away records are completely randomized; there is no appreciable benefit to playing at one's home park (other than for the revenue from attendance). This is rather unrealistic.

There is a definite home field advantage in baseball, and though the value is not huge, it is there. Over 80% of all MLB teams in the 20th century have finished with better home records than road records. You'll never see this in OOTP - the figure will be right around the 50% "random" value, which is far too low. As a result it means each team's home and away record is really meaningless.

The big question is how could this be factored in.

I think it's time for the home field to get at least a little bit of the credit it deserves.
i wanted to bring this up again. i think LGO & i did some research on this a while back. The home field advantage should be something that is suttle when looking at one game. But after a season is over, it should be obvious that there is a slight advantage.

IRL (in general)
* A batter will have to get used to a hitting in a different stadium. The hitting backgrounds are different, etc. (suggested OOTP result - 1% penalty to visiting hitters' Contact rating)

* An umpire is more inclined to call close pitches for the home team. (suggested OOTP result - 1% bonus for home pitchers' Control rating and 1% bonus for home batters' Eye rating)

* As LGO stated, fielders know their home field better. (suggested OOTP result - 1% penalty to visitor infielders' Error Pct rating and 1% penalty to visiting outfielders' Range rating)

* In "clutch" situations, the fans will rise in support the home team. Players claim this makes a difference. (suggested OOTP result - variable bonus to home players' Clutch rating. To piggy back off what LGO's suggestion, make it 1% for every 20k fans in attendance - 2 or 3% max)

i set the bonuses and penalties at 1% to highlight that the effect should be slight. The home field advantage i'm suggesting shouldn't make any team invincible at home. But it would maybe affect 2, 3 or 4 plays. It And, in a few games, that would be enough for the home team to win a game, they'd lose in v5.

Come on. If we can have "clutch" and "poise" in the OOTP baseball world, surely we can have home field advantage.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE

Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-23-2004 at 03:18 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote