View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 02:54 AM   #926
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

The Winds of Change

The winds of change have started blowing through Denver Colorado. The Brewers baseball club is in a position that they have never been in before. Sure they have traded players, let them go to free agency even flat out cut them, but not in the numbers that are being seen since during the season to now and continuing. Wholesale changes are happening here. Some due to contracts coming due, others with players abilities degrading and losing effectiveness, some where the organization has lost faith in them after being patient with them to develop, and with others it came down to simply a numbers game or being a "clubhouse cancer". There may be other reasons (each player can have a unique situation).

Once the wind dies down this team will certainly not look like it did previously. Of course parts will be familiar here and there but so many familiar names and faces will have departed for other pastures. For so long you could count on the beginning of each year the team remaining basically the same with perhaps 2-3 player changes for opening day. This next season you will need a program to know the team. Changing so many players at one time is unusual and can have a detrimental effect on team and individual player chemistry and morale. It certainly is not the ideal way to go about roster turnover. Usually it is more of a gradual process rather than a massive resource reallocation, trade or dump.

Among those players moving on have been (and will be) minor league players, minor league prospects of variable levels, major league role players, (bench, utility, platoon, etc.) major league starters, even major league stars (or former stars).

Some of these players have been here since the beginning of the league, others were drafted by the team, some were traded for or procured through waivers and others came by way of free agency, either domestic or foreign. I will not name any players here partly out of respect and also because not all transactions have occurred yet. I will allow the Brewers team officials to announce all transactions as they become official.

It will be interesting to see what this team will look like after everything is all said and done. I look forward to it. The off season has started, the Hot Stove is heating up and the winds of uncertainty are blowing hard!

Palaaemon