View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

My Fictional Sports Universe

Like many of you, since discovering OOTP many, many years ago - and even before that going back to programs like Lance Haffner games or dice games like APBA- I have played and enjoyed a number of other text-based sim games in a wide variety of sports. I have chronicalled many of my different dynasty's on this board and others including a few that combined multiple sports. I love playing pretty much any text-based sports game and the perfect mod, or stand-alone program for that matter, for me would be one that combined all the major sports in one universe. I would love to see something that would allow me to take the stats and news articles generated from my OOTP league and intermingle them with my FHM league and my football and basketball replays. Imagine a game where we could have cross-over athletes so that when OOTP says in a storyline that a player quit baseball for football they actually show up as a player in your football sim. I am sure that is too much to ask but it doesn't stop me from trying to replicate it in my solo sims.

I have been running an OOTP sim for a couple of months that I started in 1901. It matches up nicely with an old BBCF sim I had been playing off and on for several years and an FHM5 fictional sim I started a while back. I had been kind of thinking of those sims as a concurrent universe with all the sports running at the same time. The universe got a little broader when I was able to track down my old license codes for Total Pro Golf and Pro Football Simulator. I use PFS, even though it is very old, because it is the only game I know that allows me to import my BBCF college draft classes and I can also customize it's league allignment. So I have been running all of these games at roughly the same time period to mimic a multi-sports universe.

That universe expanded recently when I picked up a copy of Fast Break College Basketball and Fast Break Pro Basketball as they were each on sale for $15. Now, I have never been a big basketball fan but I can't believe I never tried these two games before. The amount of customization you can do easily rivals OOTP and the learning curve was very easy. I quickly made a college basketball mod with the conferences of the 1920s and mapped out very easily how the league can add schools and conferences as it progresses through the decades.

So now I have baseball, hockey, college and pro football and basketball, as well as golf all running in a similar time period and all loosely based as historical leagues but within a completely fictional player universe. I am going to do a dynasty report with baseball as the primary focus but I will also talk about happenings in other sports as well during the same time period. I might even throw some boxing in if I can get my old TBCB game to work properly.

I act as the commissioner and just sim for the hockey and baseball. For the golf I have a golfer created who is average, good enough to play on the tour but I won't be a contender in most tournaments so I will rarely if ever write about him and instead will focus on the greats of the game. The college football and college basketball are a little different in that I had been running teams in both. Which gave me the idea that I am acting as the athletic director of a school. I had taken over Oklahoma of the Missouri Valley Conference in 1911 in college basketball and as soon as I catch up to BBCF (which is in 1914 now) I will take over the Sooners in that league as well - unless Oklahoma hoops fires me before then. When we catch up to the baseball, which is in 1915 now, I will also oversee the college baseball program of the school I am running in the other two sports.

So I guess this dynasty is a multi-sport fictional-historical journey of a college athletic director running a baseball, basketball and football program while also acting as a reporter covering professional sports. Some of these saves, like the college football league, I started two or three years ago and have been slowly playing so updates may be sporadic at times but I am thinking this will be a universe I can revisit over time.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote