View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
Let me guess, you're going to Orlando, unless I'm not interpreting your hint correctly here. That's about the only logical O-headed city that one might expect if you're not going to Canada or Mexico here. And it's obvious you're not going to Puerto Rico or Cuba anytime soon, if at all, with your designs here.

So what do you have in mind, then, perhaps, if my guess is correct here, for Orlando? Can't wait to see, I think. CD out.
I guess I've accidentally faked you out, CD, because it isn't Orlando! Orlando actually isn't in my league at all - I had it on my list of possibilities but I always viewed it as too close to Tampa. If I were to expand again, or if I were starting this from scratch, Orlando would probably make the cut, perhaps over the team I'm about to post here, but I don't have a team there at the moment.

OTTAWA LYNX
Logos/Uniforms (Imgur)

Yep, I'm going north of the border instead, out of the United States for the first time in this series, and up to Canada's capital city! Ottawa is one of three Canadian cities I added to MLB in this game, but the others were teams where I was happy with the existing team names/designs, so I won't be showing off Les Expos or the Vancouver Canadians here. (I'd like to change the Expos to something else eventually, but I haven't found a name that really satisfies me yet.)

Ottawa is actually fully out of the affiliated baseball business at the moment, having lost the real-life version of the Lynx after the 2007 season. The best the city can do at the moment is the Ottawa Champions of the independent Can-Am League. So what's the case for Ottawa as a major league city? Well, it appears to me that the failings of baseball in Ottawa were circumstantial; yeah, attendance was low for the AAA team, but minor and major league teams draw very differently by their nature. (It seems like they were also affected by the uncertainty surrounding the Expos, for whom they were an affiliate for many years; in the end, they only lasted three years longer after the Expos' departure.) In 2006, the Lynx' newly minted owners filed a lawsuit against the city that appears to my untrained eye to be a thinly-veiled excuse to break their lease and move. And move they did, to Allentown, PA (they are now the Lehigh Valley IronPigs). I think having a team in Ottawa would be fun for MLB; not just to expand the number of Canadian teams in the league, but to add an American League rival for the Blue Jays. (Montréal works for this too, I guess, but it almost feels wrong putting Montréal outside of the National League.)

If I had come across the design of the Ottawa Champions earlier, I might have lifted it wholesale; it's a pretty cool set, with a blue, white and red rendering of the Peace Tower over a maple leaf. But I didn't, and I liked the name Lynx enough to carry it over into this rebranding. It's not necessarily Ottawa-specific, but it is Canada-specific due to the prevalence of lynx across the country and into Alaska. What I didn't like were the Lynx's logos... any of them. I shudder to think that this was the actual primary logo of a AAA team for 7 years, and not that long ago either. The previous logo (here) was much better, but I still wanted to go in a new direction.

It's surprising how, in comparison to other North American major sports, MLB has a distinct lack of "snarling animal" logos. The NFL has about a dozen, and there are about another dozen between the NHL and NBA, but it's not something you see really in baseball anymore. Only a few teams even have animal basis for their name at all, and those that do tend to be more calm (the three bird teams, the Marlins) or not have animals in their main logos at all (Diamondbacks, Tigers). The closest we get in MLB's modern age is this alternate logo for Arizona, which they use as a cap logo sometimes. So we're gonna help MLB get mean again! One of the major changes from the AAA Lynx to this is in the color scheme, from red and black to red and tan.

Several other logos here on offer, including two versions of the primary that center the maple leaf instead. These are probably more suited as alternate primary logos than they would be as the small logo in your game. Also have two versions of an O circling the maple leaf; this O is from the jersey font so you'll see it below as well. The tan/red one is a good choice for a small logo, and the white one is the primary cap logo.

Jerseys and caps:

Both jerseys are pretty similar, with the identical red-tan-red striping pattern throughout. I like the O version of the hat, but there's a lynx version as well that's nice, and would make a good alternate hat if that sort of thing ever makes its way to OOTP.

--------

That's all I have for Ottawa! Not sure which team is next but we're really winding down now.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote