View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
According to your own spreadsheet, Simmons is rated 844th in OPS. Ozzie is rated 854th. Plus, Simmons is a better SS.

I use Simmons at SS and have Bobby Crosby as my utility IF, but he's rated 758th, so maybe I'll swap those two.
Bro...you aren't getting Ozzie or Simmons for their OPS. Ozzie's 18K may seem extreme, but it's a major value for an elite SS that can get on-base and then run wild on the bases. He's pretty much a prototypical leadoff hitter. There's a reason his card is 18K and it's not just because of name value. It's a very, very unique card with one real weakness - a 1 in POW - that isn't a dealbreaker when he's good at a lot of other things (defense, avoiding K's, running primarily).

The list of guys with SS defense over 90 that can get on-base at a decent rate, don't strike out much (becomes very important in Perfect), and run well is:
1) Ozzie

The list of players 85+ at SS that can get on base more often than Ozzie:
1) Perfect Boudreau
2) Arod 97

18K isn't close to enough to get those guys.

Besides Vizquel, the other Ozzie-lite player is Phil Rizzuto. Similar OBP v both handedness, a little bit lower speed, and a little bit lower defense. But, don't be fooled into thinking either is better than Ozzie.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 03-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote