View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Relievers are the only place we "cheat" on that scale, mostly because adhering to the full scale would only give relievers half the usable range, and I think it would look weird to see the top relievers in the game still not be more than 3 or 3 1/2 stars. They are certainly valued less - an 80 reliever and an 80 SP are definitely not worth anywhere close to the same thing.
To some people, seeing ANY player rated with 'stars" looks pretty weird.

When I see AAA teams filled with players rated 30-40; when I see a definite correlation between WAR and overall; I'll know OOTP understands baseball scouting and ratings.

In OOTP, a 60 means he's better than a 55 and not as good as a 65. In baseball, it means he might make the all-star team, is a great closer, or #3 starter. There are NO exceptions. They are directly tied to 'expected WAR'. It's been that way for a LONG time.

I haven't purchased 20 yet and this is the main reason. I've owned them all since version 4 and might purchase 20. If you are saying the relievers are the only 'outlier' and everything else is per Major League Baseball, I'll gladly purchase 20 and be happy with it. I seriously doubt that is the case and your comment about 'stars' reinforces my doubts.

If you think the GMs/scouts don't use charts almost identical to the one the OP posted, you would be sadly mistaken. Understand it and fix it, it will go a LONG way towards trading/drafting/scouting AI issues. Or you can just correlate 'stars' to a 20-80 scale and ignore MLB scouting standards.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote