View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Ball Four
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
He SAYS he wants a one-year deal, but that's not accurate. He WILL accept a longer-term deal in 90% of cases based on their loyalty and greed ratings. The key is giving them MORE than the arbitration average annual value for each season they would have arbitration. Then also sign them for their first few years of free agency, but do so for roughly what they got in arbitration plus maybe 10% raise per year. The reasoning behind this method is to get a "hometown discount" on an all-star caliber player in their FA years by overpaying them slightly during arb years. That's what I do and I get who I want maybe 80-90% of the time.

Example, in my CHW franchise I signed Eloy Jimenez in his first year for a 10 year contract. I paid him 2 mil per year during his minimum years, and 5 mil per for his arbitration years. By doing this I got the remaining four free agent years at $7 million per, which I calculated to be almost $9 million below what comparable players were making on the open market at his projected FA age.

I hope that helps. So in short it's not so much about the when, but the how much are you willing to overpay at the beginning to get a discount later.
Findest2001 ,thanks very much for your quick reply,I will give it a go.
Ball Four is offline   Reply With Quote