View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Four View Post
Hi there ,been playing 19 a while and always seem to have a problem getting guys to sign extensions.

Say I drafted a player,he became good enough for the MLB,so I promoted him.
I know you have 6 years of control before he becomes a FA.

The first 3 years he`s on MLB minimum,then the last 3 he`s on arbitration contract.

When is it the best time to get him to sign a multi year extension ?

I approached him in his 1st year of arbitration and he just wants a 1 year contract for $2.75 Million,nothing else.

Does this mean if he signs this ,next year his year 5 arbitration contract may be $4.5 Million if he performs well ?

Hope this makes some kind of sense,

Thank You.

He SAYS he wants a one-year deal, but that's not accurate. He WILL accept a longer-term deal in 90% of cases based on their loyalty and greed ratings. The key is giving them MORE than the arbitration average annual value for each season they would have arbitration. Then also sign them for their first few years of free agency, but do so for roughly what they got in arbitration plus maybe 10% raise per year. The reasoning behind this method is to get a "hometown discount" on an all-star caliber player in their FA years by overpaying them slightly during arb years. That's what I do and I get who I want maybe 80-90% of the time.

Example, in my CHW franchise I signed Eloy Jimenez in his first year for a 10 year contract. I paid him 2 mil per year during his minimum years, and 5 mil per for his arbitration years. By doing this I got the remaining four free agent years at $7 million per, which I calculated to be almost $9 million below what comparable players were making on the open market at his projected FA age.

I hope that helps. So in short it's not so much about the when, but the how much are you willing to overpay at the beginning to get a discount later.

Last edited by Findest2001; 04-30-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote