View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #241
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Another Trade

Just when I thought I was done, I did again, and this should be our final deal of before the season start. We moved Joe Payne and Scott Smith over to the Annapolis Admirals (seems like all I do is trade with Annapolis and Baltimore) for 2 young kids. This deal was made for 2 reasons, options and money... Joe Payne was schedule to make $3 million and just wasn't going to play enough to justify it. I do hope that he gets his shot in Annapolis, the former gold glover deserves it. Scott Smith is coming back from his second major shoulder injury in 3 years, and he wasn't going to make the roster. No options means he had to be moved... We are now $9 million under budget, but still don't have the money to sign any free-agents or extensions.

Official Press Release:
Norfolk Cavaliers Ship Payne to Annapolis: The Norfolk Cavaliers have finalized a deal that will send 29-year-old center fielder Joe Payne, 25-year-old starting pitcher Scott Smith and 26-year-old minor league reliever Israel Gracía to Annapolis for 26-year-old center fielder Cody Johnson and 25-year-old minor league closer Derek Carter. Minor details still need to be worked out before the trade becomes official, but the players involved are expected to be with their new clubs soon.

Payne's all-time stats include: 217 hits, 37 doubles, 3 triples, 11 home runs and 75 RBIs in 260 games. He is batting .251 with 5 stolen bases and has scored 86 runs.

GM Comments:
We came out ahead in this deal in my opinion. We got 2 young guys that may help us out in the future for 2 guys that didn't have a roster spots. I am just ready to get these guys out on the field and see what we have. We made a lot of changes in the off-season, for the better.

Owner Thoughts:
Bill Parker has come to me and said he thinks we have a weakness at catcher, first base and in left field. I am not sure about that. Romero and Chaney aren't the best catchers, but compared to the other talent out there they are pretty dang good. Remember Chaney won the gold-glove two seasons ago. Not sure what he wants in LF, we have an ex-gold glover who hit .255-21-86 in 122 games last season. First base I can understand, we are playing Mauro Candelaria there, he isn't a first-baseman but should give us solid numbers on the offensive side, we are expecting a better year this season. Last year he hit .272-8-63.
Attached Images

Check out my OOTP dynasty, the DelMarVa Baseball League:
DelMarVa Baseball League.

and the spin off:
DelMarVa Baseball League - 2037 WBC Tournament - Won by Team USA - New England.

DelMarVa Baseball League - 2039 WBC Tournament - Won by Team USA - New England..
illeracula is offline   Reply With Quote