View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Nuke View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your original point (Playmakers not elevating linemates)... I actually think you are 100% correct.

However I think the flaw in your test is the getting open stat since I'm pretty sure that's related to goal scoring, so you may not be getting the effect you want (essentially Wayne is always wide open with an opportnunity to score... why would he pass?)
Yeah, I think you're right. That came to my mind afterwards as well.

Still, I don't think we should have to "manipulate" certain players in such an extreme way to make them score close to their real life numbers. I mean, how would you argue for giving Gretzky a 40 in passing, while you give other elite playmakers of NHL history (i.e. Oates) a 20 in passing? Just going by the numbers you could say Gretzky was twice as good at passing than Oates -- which is a ridiculous to say.

Different aspect: It worries me quite a bit that you, as you simulate the seasons, can't really see certain (real life) elite players stick out from the masses with their point production on a consistent basis.
It is even more aparrent in the modern NHL, where your player pool is bigger than let's say in the 70s or 80s. Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin should be top 5 scorers every year, barring injury. But they are not. They just coast along with nobodys. The problem is either that there is not much difference between an offensive potential of 850 and 700 or that the elite players are totally underrated by the db researchers. I don't know.