View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 02:10 AM   #2
Big Train
Major Leagues

!st League is set up: Here are the teams we rolled. First in the "National League":

1974 Oakland A's [ RL Record 90-72]

This is the last of the A's dynasty teams that won 3 straight World series. They are stacked with talent led by 25 game winner Catfish Hunter and Reggie Jackson's 29 HR and .391 OBP. I expect them to be the team to beat in the inaugural league.

1884 Chicago White Stockings[ [62-50] :

This will be an interesting team to watch in this league. They are filled with hall of famers like Cap Anson, King Kelly and John Clarkson in his rookie year. They have Ned Williamson hitting 27 HR and Fred Pfeffer hitting 25. Obviously a huge rarity in the pre Ruth era and their ace is 35 game winner Larry Corcoran. Not sure how this team finished only 12 over .500. Definite dark horse potential.

2006 Phillies [85-77]:

These Phils certainly could hit. With Ryan Howard hitting 58 HR and having a .425 OBP and Chase Utley contributing 32 and an above .300 avg from the 2B position. However their pitching will be a huge question mark with Brett Myers their only starter with an ERA below 4 and young Cole Hamels not having really come into his own yet.

1992 Astros [ 81-81]:

Kind of looks like a mediocre team at best to me to be honest. They do have Biggio who had a .378 OBP with 38 steals and Bagwell had a decent year with 18 HR and a high OBP but a team whose "ace" is 9-10 3.90 ERA Pete Harnisch is gonna have trouble in this league.

1988 Cleveland Indians [78-84]:

This team has good players such as Joe Carter, Julio Franco and 18 game winner Greg Swindell and Cory Snyder hit 26 HR for them. Seemingly they lack much depth though.

1955 Cincinnati Redlegs [75-79]:

Besides the fact that they this was from the era where they briefly changed their name due to McCarthyism the notable thing about this team is a very powerful offense led by Ted Kluszewski and Wally Post [47 and 40 homers and both hitting above .300] and Gus Bell chipping in 30 with a .300 + avg. Very similar to the '06 Phillies though this is a team that will live and die by the longball as they have only 2 pitchers (Joe Nuxhall and Art Fowler) with 200+ IP.]

1980 San Diego Padres [73-89]

This team does have Dave Winfield and Ozzie Smith from early in their careers and Gene Tenace who managed a .399 OBP with a .220 AVG by walking 92 times and will go up against the 1974 version of himself on the A's in this league. John Curtis and Steve Mura lead their pitching staff.

1913 Detroit Tigers: [66-87]

Interesting that the team that brings Ty Cobb into this league is record-wise the worst. Cobb hit .390 for these Tigers with a .467 obp. Sam Crawford hit .316 and hooks Dauss had a 2.48 ERA despite barely keeping his record above .500. This team could be a dark horse just because it's hard to count out any team with Cobb in his prime.

And the "American League"...

1892 Brooklyn Grooms:[95-59]

Tough luck team that finished third in their league with a great record. They will definitely be among the contenders in this league. Hall of famer Dan Brouthers and his .432 OBP lead this team and Oyster Burns was also a great player. Pitching wise they have 29 game winner George Haddock and 27 game winner Ed Stein.

2005 Braves [90-72]

These Braves were coming to the end of that great run they had but they're still an impressive team with Andruw Jones bashing 51 HR and Smoltz and Tim Hudson leading up a still good pitching staff. Rafael Furcal, Marcus Giles and Chipper Jones all produced well for them as well this year.

1995 Dodgers [78-66]

Led by Mike Piazza in his homer hitting prime and a big 32 HR season by Eric Karros and Raul Mondesi having a 26 HR 27 SB season. On the mound they had Hideo Nomo with a 2.54 ERA and Ramon Martinez and Ismael Valdes were also good. Like the above Braves this strikes me as the kind of well rounded team that could do very well in this league.

1977 Twins [84-78]:

This team features a .388 hitting Rod Carew. I predict a great overall batting champion race between him and Cobb. They also have Lyman Bostock who hit .336 and Dave Golz won 20 games for them with a 3.36 ERA.

2010 Marlins [80-82]
:

Led by a 33 HR performance by Dan Uggla and good years from Hanley Ramirez and Stanton this is a young team that may be a bit better than their record. Their pitching is not as bad as some of the other modern teams either with Josh Johnson and Annibal Sanchez at least seeming like they will provide a lot of solid innings in this league.

1973 Expos [ 79-83]:

OK This was a very weird coincidence to randomly click on the real life counterpart of the team and year I am doing in my other series. They will be my sentimental favorites here but realistically I doubt that'll help them much against some this this competition. They were showing some glimmers of what they'd become later in the decade with a young Steve Rogers going 10-5 with a 1.54 ERA and Steve Renko winning 15 games with a 2.81 ERA. Also Bob Bailey and Ken Singleton had big years power-wise for them. At least I'm hoping they will avoid last place in this league.

1981 California Angels [51-59]:

Great year for Bobby Grich. 22 HR and .378 OBP in a strike shortened season. Just as the other league has two versions of Gene Tenace, this one will have Rod Carew of 1981 going against his significantly better 1977 double. (we also have versions of Delino DeShields on the '95 Dodgers and '02 Orioles). This team is comparable to the '02 Orioles team in that they are old and mostly past their prime. Their pitching is significantly better than the '02 Orioles though.

2000 Orioles [74-88]:

The striking thing about this team is how old they are. They have Albert Belle, Cal Ripken and Harold Baines along with a few other players that had great careers but all are well past their primes here. Charles Johnson is about the only player really in his prime they have. Mike Mussina is also the only starter they have who kept his ERA barely below 4. This team will likely struggle in this league.
:

All in all I'm pleased with the teams that were randomly chosen. A good mix of eras and team styles. A couple of dynasty teams (A's and Braves) will have high expectations but neither will be by any stretch sure things although that '74 A's team will be very tough to beat. Note I opted not to consider the Brooklyn Grooms as part of the Dodgers franchise although an argument could be made for that I suppose but as these are two of the more interesting teams and they are separated by 100 years I think a small exception can be made.

Last edited by Big Train; 06-03-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Big Train is offline   Reply With Quote