View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #100
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the bump vistaman!! Was just coming on line to post the results of Zech's next fight and didn't have to go look for the thread!

Gerhard Zech's 16th fight.... 1961-09-29, Berlin, Germany

Ernie Cab-1 Overall Rating
Nationality- United States
b. 1929-08-16
d.
Career, 1951-62
BoxRec. 011967
Record 12 wins / 16 losses / 1 draws / 7 KO

Cab is actually rated in the game already so no new rated fighter this time. Cab is actually Zech's first non-European opponent. He's 12-131 when he comes to Berlin to fight Zech having just come off a 10 round decision win over Sonny Moore, a journeyman HW of the 60's-early 70's who rung up a 25-36-3 record over his career and then a Cab stopped George(Scrap Iron) Johnson in the 6th round in his last fight. Johnson in only his 4th fight would go on to fight some of the top HW's of the mid 60's to early 70's time period.

Previous to those 2 fights Cab's biggest win in his career was a 6 round decision over Mike DeJohn. Some of the other "name" HW's that he'd faced up to then he all lost to, guys like Johnny Summerlin, Wayne Betheas, Sonny Liston, Cleveland Williams, and Ernie Terrell. After the Zech fight, Cab would fight only 2 more times, a 3rd round KO loss to Ernie Terrell and a 10th round DQ loss to Bill Nielsen.
Unless there's some inside story that I don't know about, Cab is another one of those interesting HW's that I'd like to know the thinking behind including him in the initial batch of fighters in the game. Just curious.....

In real life in Berlin, Cab took Zech the full distance in a 10 round fight with Zech coming away with the decision and his 16th win without defeat.

The replay was not even close or exciting. The first 2 round went pretty easy to Zech with Cab not being able to do a whole lot. Zech got a few jabs to win the rounds but nothing to get the crowd off thier feet. Then in the 3rd Zech started making his punches count. He staggard Cab into the corner with a quick combination moments after the bell rung then follwed that up with a couple hard jabs that got Cabl wobbling on his feet. Then came the end when Zech nailed Cab with a big roundhouse hook that sent Cab to the deck and a 10 count, giving Zech a sudden 3rd round KO at the 1:50 mark of the round!! Wow! Quick unexpected finish!

So, Zech's 16-0-0. He's got 10 KO/TKO's compared to the 8 he had in the real thing up till then. Not to bad a comparison I guess. Next up comes Joe Bygraves another guy rated in the game and then we'll have some new ones again that I'll have to work on the ratings for. This next fight will be interesting in that Bygraves managed to hand Zech his first loss in the real time.

Join me in Hamburg, Germany back in 1961 on November 11th to see if Bygraves can repeat his 4th round shocker over Zech.
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote