View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
Bones26
Minors (Single A)

Would the developers be willing & able to provide a more detailed explanation and some context as to the process(es) involved in arriving at an individual game result and how it goes about apportioning player performance results in such away that the player Coach / G.M. can intelligently make use of?

I don’t expect the developers would want or be willing to lay bare all the grisly internal game processes and algorithms used in arriving at a match’s outcome but some deeper insight into how these variables are considered and subsequently factored into a games results, how they used to play off against the opponents own variables, if & how they are weighted, and at what frequency are they calculated during a match, would be welcome. It might also help go a long way towards dispelling the sense, that I just can’t shake, that as it stands now the game is simply a series on inter-connected spreadsheets that present the semblance of a robust & dynamic game engine underneath but which once you get under the surface simply randomly assigns game results based on nothing more than a simple ‘overall’ probability comparison calculation involving Team A versus Team B.

It we allow that that every time I put a team out on the ice for a match there are at least in theory some 620 individual attributes (encompassing 18 skaters, 2 goalies & 5 coaches) in play and that one must presume are in some fashion germane to the outcome of a match (or otherwise why include them), and all of which are further tweaked by such transient factors such as team strategies, specific line tactics, individual player roles, line chemistry, fatigue, training, morale, injuries, etc… well you get the point.

Providing the player first & foremost with an effective means to be able to discern the consequences that flow from their inputs, and to properly evaluate those consequences so as to provide the player with the ability to adjust their inputs both within a match and in overall roster construction is absolutely essential to the enjoyment of the game.

I appreciate that this view be more than a little harsh, but as just one example, when I read on another thread that the player Coach / G.M. has no way to change a roster players relationship with the G.M. as that has not been fleshed out yet. While I very much appreciate the honesty in the reply, I can’t help but wonder them what else under the hood & game engine hasn’t been fleshed out yet as well?

Right now, unfortunately the game feels a bit like a black hole, lots of interesting input but with little light coming back.
Bones26 is offline   Reply With Quote