View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #27
MIJB#19
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Ben already covered some of it, but ...

While it remains to be seen how MP free agency will work in FOF, in OOTP leagues often online leagues slow down during free agency and only sim maybe two to three days at a time at least for the first few weeks of free agency. So basically you submit your offers and commish advances the file forward and usually by next sim you will have an answer - whether it is that another team offered better, your offer is best or if you blew them away with an offer, that they have signed.

As Ben mentioned typically the marquee stars don't sign right away, so there is often bidding wars where GMs have multiple chances to reassess and reoffer. It definitely creates more realism and immersion than the "stages" system in FOF.
It sounds exactly the same to me. The technical part of it, that is. Right now in MP, we go stage by stage, which sort of simulates sprints of like 1 or 2 weeks at a time of the off-season. In older FOF versions it was 20 stages in pre-draft free agency and 12 stages after the draft. The MP league I play in has 5 stages pre-draft and 1 stage post-draft.
For top free agents to sign later, that sounds like it would require an overhaul of the algorithm determining when and where those players are willing to sign. How many stages are used to simulate the off-season shouldn't matter that much, MP leagues will have to compromise in compressed stages to keep a decent enough pace to keep everybody interested.
I'd be really happy if that would be the case though: top free agents milking the cash hoarding teams to get the best money or cap scraping top tier team to offer a chance to win it all in one more season. And at the same time have the career backups and marginal starters not wait until late in the off-season, but settle earlier for a place that offers them good playing time for the money.

But that's getting a bit off topic, the announcement/news is what matters here.