View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #30
Bluellama44
Minors (Double A)

Our next series is the most important so far. We face the Portland Moose, who are only 2 games below us, at home. It’s going to be nice going back to Chicago. Hopefully the fan support can will Tony Brower to not get lit up again. The Moose have no shortage of good hitters, as they lead the Veterans League in runs scored. The Moose have the 2nd best pitching in the league, as they are 2nd in runs against. The goal is to win the series and stay in 1st place.

4/22/11

Chicago Bruins (9-5) 1st in VL West (Portland Moose 2 1/2 GB)
62 Runs Scored (5th in VL)
56 runs against (2nd in VL)
3.99 Starters ERA (6th in VL)
2.87 Bullpen ERA (3rd in VL)
.681 Defensive Eff. (4th in VL)

Game 1: Juan Garcia went 5 innings while giving up 2 earned runs before getting a blister on his finger. He will likely miss his next start. Alex Ramirez was called up from AAA San Bernardino to take Garcia’s place. The offense looked terrible all day. We were shut down by Ruben Lopez. 5 runners were left on base. In the 9th, Jason Goodman gave up another grand slam, running his ERA to 23.62. One run was charged to Jake McNeil. (Moose: 6 Bruins: 0)

Game 2: No one scored until the 9th, as Tony Brower and Josh Wood dueled. Scott Fitzhugh and Jim Mizner chipped in for Chicago, each throwing a scoreless inning. Mark Ready entered the game for the Bruins in the 9th, and gave up a run scoring single. Manuel Castro had a sour look on his face, so he decided to stop the bleeding and get Ready out of there. Castro wanted to build Jason Goodman’s confidence, something that needed to happen. The 23 year old previously had a 23.62 ERA. He gave up a run scoring double. During the bottom half of the inning, trusty leadoff hitter Steve Brockway got himself 2 RBIs on a clutch double, keeping Chicago alive. Sam Vance and Ryan Taylor appeared for the Bruins during extra innings. Jake McNeil followed them, but gave up a run scoring single, losing it for us. (Moose: 3 Bruins: 2)

Game 3: Frank Santana had another good outing, but it just wasn’t enough. Santana went through 7 innings while giving up 3 runs, but was tagged with a loss after the bullpen faltered and the offense went silent. The Bruins scored 1 run on 5 hits, just not getting it done. Portland’s starter, Bobby Cohlmia (3-1 0.95 ERA) had another amazing appearance, giving up only 1 run on 4 hits in 8.1 innings, securing the series sweep. (Moose: 5 Bruins: 1)

Series notes: It was painful watching our offense letting opportunity after opportunity pass. I hate to get swept, and wished the offense would do something. The pitching also looked pretty bad, with McNeil being one of the first struggling pitchers coming to mind. I might shop him to get an idea of his value. I’m not afraid to jump on a great deal if I find one. The Baltimore Cannons offered me a couple different enticing players. Both are on 1 year deals, as is Jake McNeil. The first offer is Rich Martines, Baltimore’s closer. Martines is 1-2 with a 1.23 ERA and 4 saves so far. I would get his $5.9M contract dumped on me, be it will only last a year. The 2nd offer is equally enticing. They are offering Allen Caudle, a right fielder with good contact, speed, and discipline. Caudle is making $7.3M, which may be a little more than I want to take on.

We ended Moose 1B Carlos Avila’s 24 game hitting streak.
Seals 35 year old RF Jordan Gonzales recorded 5 hits in a 14-4 win over Miami.
Bluellama44 is offline   Reply With Quote