Thread: My Universe
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #62
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Recent MW Title Bout Result from 1910

Thanks, Lee, for the kind words in the prior post (imitation is the sincerest form of something or other). While I am only about one third of the way through the next year (1910) I am going to deviate from my usual practice of not reporting results until the end of the year due once again to a memorable bout, this one being a Middleweight title bout between two Hall of Famers ...

Background: Stanley Ketchel held the WBA Title in my Uni from late 1907 until early 1909 when he lost the title in a huge upset to Charles (Kid) McCoy. McCoy, who then entered End career stage, was dethroned in his next title bout by Billy Papke and, actually, retired after a loss to Ketchel and another loss in early 1910. Papke went on to defend twice in 1909 and had compiled an impressive 19-1 career mark by the end of the year, the only blemish on his record being a TKO loss to Ketchel. Ketchel, of course, was eager to regain the title. However, because Papke had enough bouts under his belt (20) to reach Prime career stage (versus Pre-Prime in the earlier bout) plus the fact that Ketchel was moving from Prime to Post starting in 1910 (his last year of fighting) and throw in the "defending champion" judging bias, everything about this rematch suggested Papke could well do much better than the first time around (a TKO 6 for Ketchel). Nonetheless, the betting public installed Ketchel as a slight favorite.

Records: Billy Papke (19-1) CH vs Stanley Ketchel (30-2) #1

Ketchel, as usual, came out full of fight and worked Papke on the inside while the champ tried to keep his distance. Papke then moved inside by round 3, initiating what turned out to be a huge Pier 6 brawl. The all-out war as predicted by many observers heated up in round 4 when a big left hand by Ketchel sent Papke reeling. Ketchel banged away at Papke's head and body, and in round 6 he put Papke down and the champ struggled to last the round. Ketchel remained in control as round 7 saw Papke in full retreat, trying to stay away from Ketchel's punishing blows. But wait, an unpleasant surprise was in store for the ex-Champ as Ketchel ran into a big right hand from Papke and went down. Ketchel was forced to cover up to survive the round. With the outcome now definitely up for grabs, both men came out looking to land a big knockout punch in round 8. The result was a great action round, and the combined weight of Ketchel's blows caused Papke's left eye to swell up. Finally, at the end of the round, Ketchel landed a clean shot that put Papke on the canvas for a 6-count. In round 10 it's all Ketchel as he hammered away from the inside, landing numberous body shots. Round 11 saw both men tiring, with Ketchel gaining the edge and carrying a points lead into the final rounds. Round 12 saw more problems for the champ as Ketchel opened a cut over Papke's right eye. Ketchel kept up the pressure in round 13, and midway through the 14th he had Papke down for the second time in the bout. Stanley Ketchel is not to be denied, as he regains the WBA MW crown with a UD 15 (146-136, 144-139, 145-137). This was a great action bout between two of the legends of the MW division.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote