Thread: New JLW's rated
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 01:47 AM   #87
LSU TIGER
Bat Boy

Ray Lunny III

It's good to see that people remember Ray Lunny III. Growing up on the San Francisco Peninsula two to three times a week we would catch the bus after school and go to the San Francisco National Guard Armory to watch Ray train. I attended a majority of his fight being that most of them were at the San Francisco Civic Auditorium or the old Circle Star Theatre in San Carlos.

I saw his WBC JR Lightweight bid against Escalera on closed circuit. Ray had built up a pretty good lead when Escalera opened a pretty good cut over Ray's eye. Despite the fact that the ringside doctor gave the OK for the bout to continue, Ray's father who was his manager/trainer, and a very good fighter in his own right, threw in the towel.

I talk to Ray on a regular basis. We've worked together for the past 24 years at the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office in California where Ray is a Lieutenant and I'm a Sergeant. Ray is still in great shape. He weighs about a buck-40 and shows no ill efects of being a prize fighter. Ray is also one of the classiest people you will ever meet.
LSU TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote