View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 03:14 AM   #39
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Nov 1 Playoff Coverage

Division Series: New Orleans Penguins vs Louisville Colonels (manager: Austin1011231) [wildcard winner.]

Game 1 – Freddie Freeman hits a walk-off solo shot in the bottom of 11th (RHP Hersh Freeman), 1-0 Penguins.
Game 2 – Penguins get only 2 hits, Greinke gives up 3 runs and loses. Series tied at 1.
Game 3 – 12 to 5 slugfest. Sandberg gets POTG, 3 for 5, HR, 6RBIs.
Game 4 – Tom Glavine, making his first start of the season, and pitches a 2-run gem. (Apparently I left a man off the roster, and Glavine got the call-up? Whatever, we’ll run with him.)
Penguins win Division Series, three games to one.

The sub-league series features the four teams with the best WinP’s, so no wildcard spoilers this year. I get to face the BP Yaks, the team with the second-best WinP. We whupped him during the regular season, six games to one, but of course that means nothing. Flippers crossed, this could be a blood bath.

Sub-League Series, New Orleans Penguins vs. BP Yaks (manager Atro)

Game 1 – Mike Moosina (93) vs Gerrit “hey what happened in Game 1?” Cole (100)
[He rings up 5 ER in 3.2 innings, that’s what happened.] Moose pitches a gem, and we chase Cole home early. Betts, Yount, Betts again, and Fisk all greeted Cole with XBH.
Game 2 – Zack Greinke (93) vs Justin “you hated pitching in NO, remember?” Verlander (98)
Zack threw a 5-hitter, Justin did not. Fisk plated a run with a single in the bottom of the 6th, and homered off Chapman bottom of the 8th.
Game 3 – Dizzy Dean (89) vs Mike Clevinger (97)
Dean went 6 with 2 ER, and the relievers did the job. Clevinger wasn’t horrible, but not top of his game.
Game 4 – Tom Glavine (86) vs Chris Sale (98)
Glavine snuck his way into the series due to a stupid oops on my part, but he doesn’t have an awful card. I decided to go ahead and let him pitch. Fully right-handed rotation all year, maybe he’ll be a surprise.
Glavine and Jim Palmer combined for a 5-hit shutout. Hard to argue with that, we’re on a hot streak and on to the Gold Series.

Our opponent, Everett Aqua Sox also swept their sub-league, so the Gold Series begins immediately.
I have little data on the Aqua Sox, only played 3 games during the regular season (2-1 Penguins). Nice rotation, but I guess no one told him Verlander hates pitching in the Igloo?

Gold Series, New Orleans Penguins vs. Everett Aqua Sox (manager: Jaejo)

Game 1 – Moose (93) vs Pedro Martinez (97)
Tied 2-2 into the 10th, Bregman hit a solo shot off Jim Palmer. Moose actually pitched a better game than Pedro, leh sigh. 1 games to none, Everett.
Game 2 – Greinke (93) vs Snydergaard (90)
Snydergaard pitched a good game. So did Greinke. And then came Palmer…anyway, now 2 games to none, Everett.
(2-0 leads in series result in championships 80% of the time. Not a good sign for the tuxedo-ed wonderbirds.)
Game 3 – Dean (89) vs Verlander (98)
Bregman hit a run-scoring double at the bottom of the 3rd, followed by 6 innings of basically nothing.
No team has ever come back from a 3 game deficit in a Series, and thus ends our coverage.
Game 4 – Yep, we wuz swept.

I need to spend a little time prepping for our first dose of Abuse from the Diamond Level, regardless of the series outcome, we’ll have to face Diamond Level in the A.M.
Thanks to my fellow managers for a good season and a good series!

Home