View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Just to update... I found the 19th century schedules with a forum search and plugged them into my 1884 league. I had to include both Richmond and Washington for even the "as scheduled" option to work, but I'm happy to report that the game figures the schedule out based on alphabetical order, not team ID, so Washington stops playing in July and Richmond takes over in August.

The other bit I was worried about was the league totals calculator. A quick glance at the numbers the AI came up with indicates that it might have been a *little* messed up but the big thing I was concerned about - that it would throw an error because Richmond has an empty roster right now - turned out to not be a worry so much, and on further reflection it appears that, a week in, the stats are pretty in line with RL numbers.

In fact, my biggest concern, which is that so far Ks are way, way up, is based on reality - in 1883 pitchers averaged 3.4 K/9 and in '84 it was 5.0. A quick look at the rules indicates that IRL the National League allowed pitchers to throw overhand that season. The AA still required them to throw sidearm but K rates rose in both leagues. A *further* look indicates that the UA, which I decided not to run in this season (21 teams is enough for me to keep track of as it is) fueled much of that increase, but ah well, I'm OK with strikeouts being around 10-15% higher than they should be for one season, especially since it's due to quirky issues like this one.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote