View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

August 1, 2022

We went an even 12-12 in July and our record stands at 49-50. We had a few extra-inning wins, most notably a 13-inning win over the Diamondbacks in which light-hitting catcher Jake Rogers had a walk-ff single. Reliever Andres Munoz had a great month out of the bullpen, with a 1.46 ERA. Marcos Brito, our April waiver claim, has been fabulous in part-time duty, hitting .330. Brandon Marsh (.290/11/52) has continued his excellent season, and he, A.J. Puckett (8-4, 3.50) and Julian Fernandez (2.59) were all selected to the all-star game.

We are 11 games out of first place in the NL East, but believe it or not, we are right in the thick of the Wild Card race! With this in mind, and as I remained unable to unload Luke Weaver's contract, I traded minor-league outfielder Oscar Rojas to the Astros for closer Roberto Osuna, who in this universe had not been involved in a horrific instance of domestic violence. Osuna recently returned from a broken arm, but has not given up a run in 10 innings thus far, and will immediately occupy the closer's role.

I signed Dominican switch-hitter Juan "Soda" Collazo to a $7.5M bonus. Collazo profiles as either a corner outfielder or a first baseman. If all goes well, he'd end up with elite contact and very good power, as well as elite speed. I had my eye on another young player, Juan "Zoombiya" Longoria, but he ended up going for $19M, out of our price range. I wasn't able to reel in our third-round pick Luis Zavala even with offering him $11M.

Around the league:
-The NL won the all-star game 15-2 behind two home runs by outfielder Lewin Diaz (PIT).
-Bryce Harper (WAS) hit his 300th career home run.
-Trea Turner (WAS) signed an extension for six years, $139M.
-Mookie Betts (BOS) has an active 26-game hitting streak.
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote