View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #15
Kobeck
Major Leagues

I uploaded the file.

I think some will enjoy the information

A typical Amateur team would conduct themselves in the following way:

a group of men with something in common, place of residence or work for instance, form a BB club. They are 19th century Americans so they have too do it all formal like. Elect president, secretary ect. The BB club would rent a clubhouse where all the club business that was not actually playing BB would be conducted. When the BB club officials accept a challenge, or have a challenge accepted, then the details would be hammered out and the involved BB clubs would meet at a BB field for the game. Same with pratice, which is what most of these BB clubs tended to do.
After the game the two teams would share a dinner together and everyone would have a grand ol'time. Rinse and repeat

Usually the interest in the BB club would wane and the officers would continue the club with core members, but soon enough the financial drain would be too much and the club would disband

The vast majority of amateur teams existed for the social interactions of their members. Not unlike a country club today, if today was in the 1950s.

On to things you might be asking about the excel file. It is as comprenhesive as I can get it with the reference material available to me. I do not claim this is all the teams there were.

header is the year
first colum is what we would call team nickname
second is the city the team is based in, not their primary venue.
third is the state, or in the case of New York City teams - the borough
fourth is Cat, or category. Prestiege might be another term here.
0 is professional and not used till 1869 & 70.
1 is prestigious teams that were prominent in the papers of the day.
2 is teams that played many prestigious clubs and were noted for doing so
3 is other BB clubs that played some prestigious BB clubs
4 is any other BB clubs I had solid information on
5 is any other BB clubs that I had inferred information on. A team mentioned somewhere but I found no records of it anywhere else. A good chunk of these might have never actually played a game against another BB club

Games with known scores were compiled 1843-70. The high prestiege teams got more attention here. I cross referenced the games thru 1865. The number of teams and games got exponentially higher and, IMO, the time invested had diminishing returns. The available data provided a huge chunk of data from 1866-70. Although I could have cross referenced the professional games from 1869 & 70 I decided too use all games including amateur opponents.

I split the tabs 1843-56 & 1857-70 because the NABBP was formed, essentially, in 1857 and it makes an excellent dividing line.

Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by Kobeck; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote