View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rockwood View Post

Should you care if people do this No. I'm sure some will scream that this is against the rules. While teams are tanking and you aren't your team is gaining points by beating them and getting all kinds of achievements. So this is a win/win for everyone except the developers who lose money by players not buying packs. If you want to make up all kinds of rules and play OOTP serious then join and manage a league with like minded players. Perfect team is just about gambling and opening packs. I've seen people post about all kinds of restrictions on roster changes and things based on overall ratings. All that will do is make the game boring and not fun. Isn't this what the game is all about? Having fun? If I want to lose I should be able to. If you want a completely level playing field then make every player card have the exact same ratings. People don't want that though. They want to beat other players by having some kind of edge. Unfortunately this game is 99% about having the best player cards since we don't actively play the games. This isn't Madden or FIFA where a skilled gamer can beat an average player with worse players just because they are better at the game. This is just a sim where we have no control what happens once the games start simming.

[
I disagree with virtually this entire section. There are numerous threads logging F2P success, and the existence of teambuilding restrictions like BFF occured, among other reasons (true for me personally), because after learning how to build a successful PeL-title-winning F2P team under normal conditions, it became more fun to try to do it again with a more challenging set of restrictions. Kind of like why people sometimes replay games on higher difficulties after winning on Normal.

Compare that to tanking, which seems hopelessly boring to me. It's just a repetitive algorithm that takes a ton of time, isolates you from the rest of the community, and generates PP in a not-skill-testing way whatsoever. It's playing a game on Easy or turning on cheats; maybe fun for someone unskilled, but not for long and demonstrative of absolutely no personal achievement whatsoever. Nothing wrong with playing games on Easy or with cheats, but for me that would kill any sense of satisfaction that comes with success against those whale rosters.

There are also actual drawbacks to tanking, of course. You ruin competitive balance in the league, denying the Cy, MVP, silver slugger, etc. to your league. You deny division and WS wins to players from lower leagues, which is something a lot of people like shooting for even if it's not a Perfect title. For leagues like BFF, you ruin the competitive balance because those who play lots of games against tankers are unfairly better off compared to others. Even if you're not in a friends list, seeing someone else benefit from playing a tanker a bunch feels bad. I can see why you'd want it to feel like a win-win, that seems like an easy justification to make cheating more palatable.

The perspective is still good, and it's important/useful to have this conversation. For example, I figured tankers were people who thought the game was all a P2W crapshoot about opening the best cards in packs, OVR is king, etc., and that ended up being right in this case. As opposed to, say, min-max types who genuinely try playing after tanking for a cycle or two. And the actual amount of PP is interesting. My F2P BFF team, started at the end of October, is worth about 2M now, with only ~10% of that coming from AH flipping and maybe another ~10% or so from tourney + pack wins. If Tanking generates 200k from Iron->Perfect, that's like ~20k per week after you go back down to Iron. So someone who has been tanking from the beginning will only have ~50% of my current team value if they have been tanking since launch. I would have guessed it would be more than that.

I think probably the communication that tanking is illegal is the most important aspect of this. I bet some fraction of them just think of it as a good, legal strategy.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote