View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

First Basemen

Dave Trowbridge (28) took over the 1st base spot in July and didn't let it go with a .342 batting average on the season in 314 PA's. The positives fall off pretty quick after that. He doesn't have much in the way of power and slugged just .412 on that prodigious batting average. He's not going to draw many walks and his defensive stats aren't much. But, if he can hit .340 again, I can handle it. Unfortunately, I think he's more likely to drop down to around .300 which with his lack of secondary skills would make him a replacement level player.

Johnny Stevens (30) was the first basemen for the Miners from 21-25, and had several solid years. Including a .351 average with 29 triples (league leading) as a rookie in 1921. In 1925, he hit just .297/.352/.413, and was just slightly above average. Last year he got just 116 plate appearances and hit .265/.345/.353, which is not very encouraging. My scout seems to think his best days are already past him, and I doubt we'll see the return of the 4 WAR player he was for 4 seasons.

26 year old Buck Swan was horrendous in his 133 FABL PA's, OPSing just .527. But, he's had strong numbers in the minors, so he'll head back to AAA and see what he can do.

24 year old George Simpson was reduced to 77 games and just 5 starts in AAA last year, but he hit .358/.454/.642 in his limited time. My scout likes him, and he seems like a legit option at 1st base in the future. Spring training will get him lots of reps and if nothing else, I'll make sure he gets AB's in St. Paul this year.

Howie Loyd (24) had 609 PA's at AA Birmingham and OPS'ed 886, but his OPS+ was just 117, to give you an idea of the offense in the Dixie League. With a bit of a logjam in front of him, he might be back in Birmingham to hopefully really mash.

The lower levels have nothing worth writing about, not even for a cool name (looking at you Joe Watson).

Conclusion: I don't have much faith in Trowbridge, he's got an empty batting average, which at 1st base and in the 1920's, doesn't do a whole lot for your squad. Johnny Stevens has the pedigree, but I'm afraid he's about cooked, though I assume I'll give him a few months of starts at the beginning of the 27 season to prove it. George Simpson is the wild card, he'll start at 1st in AAA, and hopefully force his way up to the major leagues.

Last edited by BadluckinOOTP; 08-07-2019 at 01:18 PM.
BadluckinOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote