View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
As for the Russian Klm league- the biggest hockey brawls worldwide the last 3 years have all been in the russian league- take a browse on youtube if you don't believe me.
Yes, but those are specific isolated incidents that occurred for specific reasons. Fighting is not the norm in Russian hockey. Fights do occur, but they are an exception. For instance I am a supporter, ultra, fan movement guy, what ever you want to call me for a team here in Russia. I attend all home and most away matches for my team. In the past 2 seasons I can probably count on only 2 hands the number of fights I have seen. Fighting in the KHL is done mostly by guys that have done time in North America. Don't get me wrong, we still have 'toughguys' but their protection doesn't usually escalate to fighting. Becasue of the lower incidents of fighting the referees sometimes let things get rough, but as soon as tensions start to really flare up, penalties are called tighter until things calm down.

Russian hockey is about speed, passing, and teamwork, watch actual KHL matches and not just attention grabbing youtube brawls without knowing the full context if you don't believe me.
Strelka is offline   Reply With Quote