View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #98
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Myers
There are at least three sources for the name: the German, the English, and the Hebrew. As you know, once people came to this country, their names became bolluxed up.

There is a famous story about a Polish Jew named Yankel Shatsky. Before he emigrated to America, Yankel was told by his friends to choose a more American-sounding name. His friends suggested James Davenport. On the ship across the Atlantic, Yankel repeated the name to himself over and over. But when he arrived at Ellis Island, when he was confronted by an immigration officer who demanded to know his name, Yankel blanked. "What is your name?" the officer bellowed. "I forget," Yankel whimpered in Yiddish--ikh fergessen. Naturally, his new American name became Ike Ferguson.
That's a great story. I didn't mean to pry, but names and their origins are of great interest to me since I began doing research into my and my wife's family histories. Based on my scant knowedge in the area, I would have pegged 'Meyers' as Scotish/Irish and 'Myers' as Dutch/German. I was simply wondering if I was off base.

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 02-13-2005 at 04:34 PM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote