Thread: Infield hits
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbl View Post
Perhaps perception more than reality...

This may not be a big enough sample ... but an analysis of 103 games played yielded 103 infield hits (1.0 per game), which is on par with MLB as I understand.

In that same period there were 1910 hits, of which 1396 were singles. Thus infield hits were 7.3% of all singles.

There were some games were there were 3, 4, or even 5 infield hits in a single game, which still seems like a lot, but maybe the issue isn't what I thought it was.

I can keep analyzing more games to see if a different pattern emerges.
It does sound to me like the problem might be more the wonkiness of the 3D visualizations of these plays than an over-abundance of infield hit results. I think when the images we see in front of us don't seem to line up very well with our idea of how these plays should look they stand out to us more and then it begins to feel like they happen more often than they should.
And let's face it, this is one of several areas where improvements are needed. But having said that, I do believe the 3D visualizations have improved dramatically the past few years and I'm sure eventually these will be less awkward.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote