View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #706
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1991 NHL Offseason News and Notes

Here are last season's skating leaders.

Here are the goalie leaders.

Here are the playoff scoring leaders.

Doug Gilmour wins his 2nd Hart Trophy, but loses the Stanley Cup to Steve Yzerman again. Yzerman wins his 2nd straight Conn Smythe. Alex Mogilny wins the Calder trophy with 78 points on the season.

Vancouver’s Gilbert Perreault has retired after a wonderful career which saw him finish third all time in scoring! His 1798 points is just 59 points behind the legendary Gordie Howe! Perreault played his whole career in Vancouver, and while his production dropped in his later years, he was still a point per game scorer until the age of 36. Here is his career stats. Vancouver will retire his number 11!

Click to enlarge

LA’s longtime goalie Billy Smith has hung em up. He is the all time leader in wins, with 580, and wins in a single season, 64! He’s also played the most games among goalies. Smith backstopped the Kings to the 1979 Stanley Cup. The Kings will retire the future HOFer’s number 35. Smith’s teammate John Garrett also retires, leaving a huge hole in the Kings net going forward. Garrett is number two on the list of all time wins. He spent most of his career in Toronto, where he helped the Leafs win 3 Stanley Cups after Terry Sawchuk’s retirement. Toronto will retire #1 in honour of Garrett! Here is a look at the top 10 career wins!

Washington’s Mike Bossy has retired. Bossy spent just over a decade scoring goals for the Caps. He finished his short career with 525 goals in 829 games. Bossy had just one season where he scored under 30 goals. His 2nd last, where he scored 29 goals in 62 games. I should note he got 50 assists that year, and 85 points this year. He had not slowed down at all! He leaves the game at age 34. Also being honoured this year is New Jersey’s Mark Howe. The son of Gordie, Mark did a great job carving out a career of his own. He started his career as a defenseman on the KC Scouts, moved to forward with the Colorado Rockies, and became the franchises all time leading scorer with the Devils. Three cities, one franchise! Noone will wear 21 in NJ again!

The NHL is expanding for the first time since the WHA folded. In real life, Minnesota was not doing well. The owners wanted to move to San Francisco. The NHL said no. Owners wanted that market for expansion. As a compromise, the NHL allowed the North Stars owners to head an expansion team from the area, with the caveat the new team would be able to draft players from the North Stars. The new team and Minnesota would then participate in an expansion draft. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I doubt this will be in the game, so I expect a normal expansion draft. I will make one change. The game has awarded the new team the first overall pick in the entry draft. In real life, they received the 2nd pick. I will edit them to number two. The San Jose Sharks will begin playing this year, here is their logo and uniforms along with the other changes around the league.

Here are the results of the expansion draft.

Not a lot there for the Sharks. They go young though, which is good. Someone here will develop into something.

OMG, the Sharks messed up something bad. This is a horrible start to their franchise if historical bias is a factor!! After the Islanders take Eric Lindros, the Sharks pass on Peter Forsberg and Scott Niedermayer to take JOHN MADDEN!!

Peter Forsberg, the highest potential player goes third! The Leafs get Scott Niedermayer, who was originally drafted with their pick that was traded for Tom Kurvers in real life. Many Leaf fans talk about this during down times, though I tend to explain that changing one aspect of history, like the Leafs keeping that pick, means history changes some, so you can’t say the Leafs should have had Scott Niedermayer. They could have had a chance at him. Ok, rant over…John Madden!!! Come on San Jose. You guys are in trouble! Here is a look at the top pick.

Here is a Tony Hand update

After playing 38 AHL games, and getting 40 points, Hand has called up to the Blackhawks in the 2nd half of the 89/90 season. He got 12 points in 20 games. Last year, he spent all year in Chicago, playing 80 games, and recording 25 points. He now goes to San Jose, where Hand will get some significant ice time. He’s got excellent offensive ratings, so it’ entirely possible Hand could be the team’s leading scorer. Watch out Wayne Gretzky!!

No HOF inductee’s this year. Well, there were actually 3, but I vet them, since I don’t agree that Terry O’Reilly and his 500 career points belongs in the HOF! No offense Terry! I’m exaggerating as O’Reilly had 4 straight 40 goal seasons. He was a very good player for a short window, and had a really solid career. But I think the game is to liberal with it’s HOF selections. I’ve probably vetoed 50-60 in our history!

Onto the regular season!

Last edited by George_Bell; 11-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote