View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
Hi All,

I picked this game up on a Steam sale, because I like management sims. I've started a new game and taken over Milton Keynes in the English League. But now I realized I don't know anything at all about Hockey, and that might be a problem since I am managing a Hockey team. These are the major questions I have:

1. I know NHL teams have four lines. I don't have nearly enough players in England to make up that many lines without dipping into my youth teams. Would a team on the English level need 4 lines?

2. When I see 'winger' I'm equating that to soccer. So do wingers usually control their side of play and try to get assists? Would a right handed player on the left wing tend to cut inside and take more shots than a left handed player?

3. What does the center generally do? Is he the goal scorer or is he more of a transitional player between defense and offense, like a midfielder?

4. I know what enforcers and agitators do, but why would I want them and how do they help me win? Signing an enforcer sounds like signing a baseball pitcher whose only role is to throw at people. And agitators sound like crappy players whose main skill is being a dick.

5. How do the youth teams work? Do I fill them with free agents of that age group and just see how they progress?

and 6. I can't sign any staff because they ask too much money. But I'd like to scout individual players, is there no way I can have someone scout a region AND look at individual players like in FM?

Thanks.
There a few rules I employ about wingers: If the winger is more of a passer/playmaker I ensure he is on his correct wing (lefty stays on the left). This means the player has the ability to makes plays without going to his backhand. When the winger is a scorer (sniper) I sometimes place him of his off-wing so he can get a better angle of the net.. I do this more often on the Powerplay lines.

Centres do a bit of everything - depends on their skillset. Their job without the puck is more involved than the wingers (typically) as they help out the defense more. Most centres have a good awareness both offensively and defensively. It is not as important for them to be quick like a winger, as long as he has the awareness and positioning. Having said that, a quick centre is never a bad thing.

When constructing your forward lines, try and think more about pairs than about threesomes. Grab a playmaker and shooter and then place a third guy on the line that can keep up with them, but can perhaps do a bit more physically/defensively/whatever the other two players lack. Use your depth charts to aid you a bit in this too.

Hope some of this helps/makes sense
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote