View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1947, Pitchers: Casey, Lanier

As previously mentioned, this method is an attempt to simulate HOF procedures, not induct the best players at the first opportunity. The quirkiness of voters and their sometimes perplexing choices of one player over another is that which is trying to be emulated.

I am not altering the results of the method just because an instance makes no sense to me. I am not going to try to justify the selections just because it is my method and, therefore, the results should be greeted with reverent applause.

However, in cases of seemingly odd choices, I will seek to find some sort of justification for the selection through means other than a fictional "He was a good guy" storyline. That is not saying that fictional storylines aren't fun to employ in simulated baseball games.

------------------------------

How does a sub .500 pitcher get in? How does a sub .500 pitcher get in without 300 wins? How does a sub .500 pitcher get in when there are 300 win pitchers eligible and waiting? Maybe the sub .500 pitcher was a really good guy......

Dan Casey gets in with a 260-282 mark. Pitching from 1909 to 1926, he spent his entire career with the Chicago Cubs. OK, that might indicate why he was better than his W/L record indicates.

In his 18 years with the team, the Cubs finished above .500 twice. He won 20 games 6 times.

In 1912 he won the CYA going 22-16 with a 1.87 OOTP ERA. That year the Cubs went 66-88. He was credited with winning 33% of his team's games that year.

Over the course of his career, the Cubs had a win% of .465. Casey had a win % of .480. Projecting this win rate to a .500 team would turn 20 losses into wins. He notched 2008 strikeouts and 36 shutouts.

His K/9 is better than Saberhagen's. His W/9 is better than Walter Johnson's. The only category in which he is last amongst Hall members is his W%. Someone has to be there.

And the writer's think he is a good guy......

He gets in on the Veteran Standard.

Black Ink 25
Gray Ink 211
HOFm 104
HOFs 38

---------------

Max Lanier, like Casey, was inducted by the program on default settings. Also, like Lanier, he finished his career below .500. Hippo Vaughan must have been a real jerk to the writers......

Also like Casey, he gets in on the Veteran Standard.

Lanier went 259-296 (Casey no longer having the lowest W% in the Hall) from 1883 to 1901. He struck out 2151 batters and carried a 2.73 OOTP ERA for his career.

He was named to 6 All Star teams and won 2 GGs.

With this ballot the first talk of drug testing in the MLB community is born.

Black 21
Gray 210
HOFm 143
HOFs 35

ADD: Lanier is the first pitcher inducted to not win a Cy Young Award.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote