View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Before we start the discussion again a few points:

1. (i)OOTP generates all ratings automatically from the stats available in the Lahman Database.

2. Nothing else then stats are used to generate the ratings, no awards, no reputation and no scouting.

3. To evaluate stats produced from the game please do the same as in reality: do not look at small sample sizes. It has a reason that in baseball they play 162 games. It makes no sense at all (in reality and in OOTP) to evaluate stats after only 50 games played.

4. Defense ratings are the toughest ones to generate as defense stats are more vague then batting/pitching stats.

Now, lets go into more detail:

For the 95er Tribe (I have them easy available here, the rest has to wait until I have more time):

Omar Vizquel: in 1995 he had a .986 Fielding% (3rd best in the AL), the game rates him with an Infield Error rating of 19/20. I don't see a problem here. His RangeFactor was below league average, iOOTP rates him with a 14 Range (nothing wrong here, maybe even a bit to high). So in 95 he was an SS with average range but without making many errors and iOOTP rates him exactly as that.