View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #35
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
[/u][/b]I didn't make race a factor.[/u][/b] Tiger, through no fault of his own, made it a factor. Emphasis, "a", not "the". If you can't see Afro/Asian-American interest in golf spiked when Woods came on the scene, you have your head in the sand. And I guarantee you unless someone black rises up in Tiger's wake, the black community will go back to ignoring golf once he retires.
Yes, you are the one who brought race into the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I didn't switch gears. The fact women had to break down barriers in 2019 shows the old boy network is still alive and well. It is still a struggle for minorities & women to make inroads. It has been 25 years since Tiger Woods became a household name. Shouldn't there have been a groundswell of blacks beginning to filter into the PGA tour? Where are they? I tell you where. Not the links. Because the vast majority are interested in golf only when Tiger is involved.

But minority interest is just a small part of my argument that you zeroed in on that distracted from the bigger message. Find yourself a bunch of people w/casual knowledge of the Masters & see if you can get anyone to turn the convo for more than 5 minutes away to one of the other golfers. They won't know who you are talking about.
I see, and the fact Augusta had a long standing policy against women makes it a Whtite Man's Sport does it?

I was in agreement with you about the over hype, I even mentioned how much it irritates me. Then you, yes you Cobra, brought the race thing in and said it was a white mans game.

I questioned that statement, and even provided examples of non-white players who were consistently competitive on tour.

And your response is - I'm cherry picking. Great, if you don't want to substantiate your stance, don't. I won't pursue the matter.

And I still agree with you on the over hype, just not the rest.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote