View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #57
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 30th-June 5th

May 30th, 1904: Lightning RF Julio Montes and Brooklyn 3B Juan Ozuna were named Players of the Week.

We remained 6th in the Power Rankings. At 28-24, we're 1.5 out of 2nd and 9 out of first.

The Milwaukee Mustangs were in town for a three game set, as Matt Puckett (5-2, 3.93 ERA, 1.15 WHIP) looked to stay hot against Yeong-shin Kim (6-2, 2.72 ERA, 1.14 WHIP), who's slowly started to develop into one of the better pitchers in the league. He pitched a great game, but not great enough, and we took the opener 3-2.

Puckett looked sharp, 8 strong innings with 5 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and 4 strikeouts. Tobias Laranheira got the save, despite 2 hits and a walk with just a single strikeout in the 9th.

Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with a steal, 2 runs, and RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with an RBI. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

May 31st, 1904: The final game in May saw Eric Thomas (5-4, 3.79 ERA, 1.35 WHIP) take on Sean Donald (6-4, 4.33 ERA, 1.43 WHIP). The pitching continued to hold up, and we won this one 4-2.

The Puckett and Thomas signings have really looked good so far!

Thomas went 8 with 3 hits, a run, 4 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Larajeira got the save, despite allowing a solo homer in he 9th. He has 19 saves now on the season.

Alex Nagel was 2-for-4 with a solo homer, the first of his career. Mike Legg was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a walk. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-3 with a walk, double, and 2 driven in.

June 1st, 1904: Lightning RF Julio Montes and Buffalo LF Greg Jennings were Batters of the Month. If you remember Mike Jennings, who I traded to the Lightning, Greg is Mike's younger brother. Our very own SP Matt Puckett and Brooklyn CL Antonio Munoz were Pitchers of the Month. New York CF Robun Fujimoto and Philadelphia 1B Gabe Solis were Rookies of the Month.

Back to Puckett, he was 5-0 with a 1.62 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 6 starts. He had a terrible start to the season, but he really found his groove in May.

Down in Class C Bay City, RF Mike Heinemann was Batter of the Month in the Great Lakes League. The 23-year-old lefty hit .354 with 8 homers and 24 RBI's.

In Class A Grand Rapids, our top prospect Jorge Montalvo was American League Pitcher of the Month. He was 5-0 with a 2.38 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 41.2 innings (6 starts). He's almost ready for the majors, and could displace Cody Hall if Hall continues to struggle.

We looked to finish off the sweep with Josh Fisher (1-3, 4.35 ERA, 1.40 WHIP) taking on Alberto Lucero (3-6, 5.91 ERA, 1.47 WHIP). A big three run 8th gave us a 7-5 lead, and Laranjeira shut the door in the 9th to finish off the Mustangs.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP!!!!

Fisher didn't do too well, 7.2 innings with 10 hits, 5 runs, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts. He also made 2 errors. Juan Londono allowed a hit and then got a strikeout to finish the 8th and then get the win. Laranheira needed just 9 pitches in a perfect 9th to record his 20th save.

Andy Palme was 3-for-4 with a double. Alex Nagel was 1-for-3 with a two run homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Jeremy Bell launched a pinch-hit three run shot in the 8th. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a run scored before being pinch hit for the previously mentioned Bell. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Fisher was 1-for-3 with an RBI.

Fresh off the sweep, we'd welcome the first place Lightning for a four game sweep. At 38-15, they hold a 7.5 game lead over the Rebels and an 8 game lead over us. The projected starters are Matt Nesgofa (7-1, 2.70 ERA), Jim McNiff (5-1, 2.68 ERA), Bobby Borsius (7-2, 1.87 ERA), and Eddie Long (7-3, 3.30 ERA). I'd leave St. Louis after Brosius' start to head not to far down the road to Ann Arbor, where the draft would take place this year at the University of Michigan.

June 2nd, 1904: The Lightning arrived to town with Matt Nesgoda (7-1, 2.70 ERA, 1.07 WHIP) looking to stay hot against the struggling Cody Hall (3-3, 5.36 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). Nesgoda left after just 2 pitches, and we took advantage of the Lightning pen in a 9-4 win.

I like this run we're on!!!

Hall was shaky, 10 hits and 3 walks with 3 runs and 4 strikeouts in 6 innings. He's still kind of pitching for his job, as Montalvo is trying to force himself on the roster. Simon Ellingson got a hold, with a walk and 4 strikeouts in 2 innings. Pat Peters allowed a hit and run with a strikeout in the 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was really on it today, 3-for-3 with a double, 2 homers, 2 walks, and 4 RBI's. Alex Nagel, who left the game with a bruised thigh after getting hit by a pitch, was 1-for-1 with a solo shot. I might not place him on the DL, and just not let him start consecutive days. Justin Arrington was 1-for-2 with 3 walks, a solo homer, and 2 runs scored. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a walk and 2 runs scored.

Philadelphia SP Noel Kessler tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over Brooklyn.

June 3rd, 1904: We looked to push our win streak to five with D.J. Ruhnke (7-4, 3.76 ERA, 1.08 WHIP) looking to get back on track against Jim McNiff (5-1, 2.68 ERA, 0.92 WHIP). He just hasn't looked the same since the awful outing, and we were topped 6-1.

Ruhnke went 6 with 9 hits, 6 runs, 3 walks, and 9 strikeouts as his ERA jumped over 4. Matt Macias went 2 with a hit and 4 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-3 with a double and walk.

June 4th, 1904: With Zack Lawrence healthy, instead of sending him on rehab, I activated him and sent Nagel down to Grand Rapids to allow a full recovery from his bruised thigh.

We looked to secure at least a split with a battle of red hot pitchers in Matt Puckett (6-2, 3.75 ERA, 1.10 WHIP) and Bobby Brosius (7-2, 1.87 ERA, 0.82 WHIP). The drive to Ann Arbor would be a pleasant one, as it came right after a 3-1 win over the best team and pitcher in baseball!

Honestly, Philly might be better, but since we don't play them, I'll just say it's St. Louis!

Puck went 7 with 5 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts as he's almost replaced Ruhnke as the ace. Londono picked up the hold, 2 strikeouts in a perfect 9th. Laranjeira got the save, a strikeout in an efficient 6 pitch 9th.

Jeremy Bell was 2-for-3 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a run scored. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a pair of RBI's in his return to the lineup.

Yeong-shin Kim tossed a 1-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over the Red Hawks.

Fan vote update: Giobbe Capuana is 2nd for 1B. Damian Salcido (somehow) is 2nd for SS. Same with Arrington, although at LF. Ruhnke remains 4th for SP, although I'd expect him to drop out soon. Laranjeira and Londono remain 2nd and 5th for pen arms.

Before the draft, we looked to top the Lightning with Eric Thomas (6-4, 3.54 ERA, 1.31 WHIP) looking to stay hot against Eddie Long (7-3, 3.30 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) in another nice pitching match up. It was a tight one, but the Lightning picked up win #40 in a 2-1 victory to earn the split.

Thomas went all 9, with 7 hits, 2 runs, 5 walks, and 5 strikeouts.

Andy Palme and Damian Salcido were both 1-for-3 with a walk. Mike Koski was 1-for-4 with a run scored. We didn't have an RBI, as Koski scored on Jeremy Bell's double play...

Luckily, I missed the game, as I was preparing for the upcoming draft!
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 04-14-2019 at 03:54 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote