View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #47
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Preseason

January 30th, 1904: Today marks the start of the preseason, as well as the annual affiliation shuffle. Here are the changes made this season:

Keyser Kernels (Class C Virginia League): Detroit to Baltimore

Salt Lake City Earthquakes (Class C Western League): Baltimore to Detroit

Houston Generals (Class D Sun Belt League): From Buffalo to the Cleveland

Tampa Hammerheads (Class D Florida State League): From Cleveland to New Orleans

Sanford Sabres (Class D Northeastern League): From New Orleans to Buffalo

The way I do it is starting with Class D, I selected a UBL team and then search for a team at this level (if applicable) that isn't really geographically close to them. I then look to rotate that team to a different affiliate that is closer. Now for the team that lost the affiliate, if the team is geographically close, they will become the new owner. If not, the process starts over and I look to find a closer league before finding a replacement. Unless it is a perfect 1-for-1 swap, I advance to the next level, and start the process over.

So the first team I chose was Buffalo, and Houston is not close to Buffalo. What was closer was Sanford in the Northeastern League, New Orleans' affiliate. New Orleans isn't too close to Houston, so I instead fround them an affiliate in the Florida State League, Tampa from Cleveland. Now, Cleveland isn't that close to Houston, but there weren't really any other close locations for Cleveland, so they were stuck with Houston.

Same thing happened when I lost Keyser. Since it's much closer to Baltimore then Detroit, they got them and I was stuck with Salt Lake City, since there weren't many close options. Luckily, it's a rather low level and my other Class C affiliate is Bay City, which is in Michigan, and makes travel up the system easy enough at the upper levels.

I stuck with the Salt Lake City coaching staff.

January 31st, 1904: Big news as despite missing all of this season recovering for a torn labrum, Carlos Sandate signed a massive 7-year, $2,720 per year deal with the final season a 135 game vesting option. Before this year, he never had less then 144 in a full season. In his impressive 9 year career, he owns a .284/.380/.570 line with 339 homers, 951 RBI's, and 222 stolen bases.

Since the Cardinals suck, their first was protected. Instead, I'd recieve their 2nd Round Pick, which is 2nd in the round. I also recieved another supplemental pick, so I have the 3rd, 5th, and 6th pick in the 7 pick round.

Pittsburgh acquired RHP John Cosby from the Cleveland Cyclones for LF Bob Costigan and LF Walt Van Vranken.

Cosby, 25, is a duarble righty who's spent time in the pen and rotation in parts of three big league seasons. Origionally the 18th Overall Pick in the 1897 draft, he's 15-16 with a 3.51 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, and 221 strikeouts in 65 games (40 starts).

Costigan, 25, is probably the most talented of the return, a 3* left fielder. He's a plus defender which decent foot speed, plus-plus contact, and plus power. Selected by St. Louis 20th Overall in the 1897 draft, he debuted with Pittsburgh in 1901, and ohas played in each of the last three seasons. He owns a .284/.335/.453 lines with 39 homers and 157 RBI's in 298 games.

Van Vranken, 22, isn't too special, but he's an absolute monster on the base paths. He's a solid left fielder, although you can't really trust him in center. Very light hitter who was a 7th Round Pick in 1900. He hasn't gone higher the Class C.

February 7th, 1904: I sent 1B Kab-shik Min to the New Orleans Cajusn for 2B Juan Villanueva, thus freeing up a spot on my 40-Man Roster.

Villanueva, 23, is rated a 1.5/3* with an elite eye at the plate. He's a durable and dependable defender who hits his share of doubles and can occasionally surprise you with home run power. He struggled a little in Class A Atlanta, but I'd likely invite him to big league camp during Spring Training.

February 14th, 1904: Emptied another spot, sending RHP Juan de Loera to the Pittsbirgh Pilots for RHP Gavin Freeman. de Loera was likely not to make the pen as his ratings have taken a hit.

Freeman, 23, was an 8th Round Pick of Pittsburgh's in 1900. Rated a 1.5/4*, the righty has plus stamina, but is more of a long reliever then a starter. He's got an elite slider and a plus fastball that sits in the 92-94 MPH range. His change, however, is poor, and he was exposed when they tried to start him in 1901. He's pitched a little in Class B, but I'd likely have in Salt Lake City to start the year.

February 16th, 1904: Took a gamble on the Free Agent market, signing RHP Eric Thomas to a 3-year, $1,200 per year deal, although the second two are team options. Thomas, who's pitched mainly for Brooklyn and then a season in Cincinnati, was the 6th Overall Pick out of Texas in 1892. He's fought injuries his whole career, but his 4.80 ERA and 1.38 WHIP are respectable numbers. He has 1,259 strikeouts in 1,601.2 innings and is 83-96. He's rated a 3* with 100 stamina and can eat up a ton of innings. He's a hard worker and positive influence in the clubhouse.

The rest of the spring was quiet, and we'd start Spring Training on the extra leap year day February 29th!