View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 AM   #25
DFyvie
Major Leagues

ZZ tops in trade with Sharks
1/19/1992

It took a bit longer than he wanted but GM Fyvie finally managed to address his team’s deficiency on the back end by acquiring Pittsburgh’s Zarley Zalapski (pictured).

Young Swedish defensemen Per Djoos and two 5th round picks (1992 and 1993 drafts) was the cost of bringing in Zalapski, a bonafide top 3 defenseman.

“(Zalapski) can handle the minutes and give us the help we desperately need on the back end to cover the loss of Muni.” Said GM Fyvie of his new player. “He’ll take the pressure off Brisebois on the powerplay too.”

Born in Edmonton, Zalapski has quickly established himself as a solid, smooth skating rear-guard. “I like to handle the puck and distribute the best I can.” Zarley said of his playing style. “Playing out West was something I was really keen on. I’m not so far away from my family now.”

Zalapski has put up gaudy numbers too. Last season, Zalapski broke out with a 21 goal 70pt performance. This year has him scoring 43pts in 41 games. “It’s easy when Mario’s out there.” Said Zalapski of his former teammate and living legend, Mario Lemieux. “You feed him the puck and he gets you the points.”

The new blue liner will have his work cut out for him in San Jose, however. No Mario and no Paul Coffey. “They’re young here.. but Pittsburgh was young too. They have some great talent in the pipeline.” Zalapski said of his new team.

Zalapski will be fully rested when he makes his debut for the sharks; the teal and black don’t have another game until they travel to Zalapski’s hometown of Edmonton on the 21st.

“My Mom has requested a few passes” Mentioned the 23yr old. “And my folks want to check out San Jose soon too.”

It is expected Zalapski will play on the top pair with Gerald Diduck or Patrice Brisebois.
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote