View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #77
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The Colonels played out the string and will be in the wild card game. I don't hold high hopes for tomorrow. The team looks a bit flat right now.
As predicted, I lost the wild card game at home to a team that I beat 6 of 7 times this season. We were 15-12 in September and the mediocrity continued in October.

There were two outstanding teams in my conference this year: the Metheun Silver Sox (won my division by 16 games) and the Kogarah Kings. I was 6-18 against these two teams and 111-27 against the rest of the league. This is typical and indicative of the problem that I am considering today. I have been sitting on a pile of points waiting for one card, which I believed would put my team over the top. However, I am now questioning that strategy. Perhaps I need to improve several spots to get to the next level.

I want to be able to beat the best teams at least half of the time, and be a threat in the playoffs. However, it is a long way from +420 run differential to +550 where the Silver Sox and Kings reside. The Kings outscored me with a heavy platooning strategy. The Silver Sox outscored me with only one platoon position (catcher). I scored 915 runs, so I don't think my offensive strategy is that bad. The pitching and run prevention was #2 in the league (behind only Metheun). I don't see a clear pattern as to why the best teams are that much better than mine in head-to-head play.

The solutions are not obvious to me at this moment. However, my current strategy of doing nothing isn't working well, so something needs to change. I have plenty of time to think about it today.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote