View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #62
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Playoff push roundup:*

Everett Aquasox (B287, 83-50, 1st place, +11, 100% chance)
A big August for the Froggies saw them increase their lead by seven games. JJ Putz continues to play out of his mind, with 30 saves and 76 Ks in 58.2 innings. 100 Kaz Sasaki is middle reliever extraordinaire, having vultured 8 wins and a 1.46 ERA. I'm seriously considering leaving these two in the same roles next season. 93 Junior Griffey is three true outcoming it up, except for the walks. So just HRs and Ks then. But...in 103 games, his LF rating has gone from non-existent to 93 and now outpaces his CF rating! The cherry on the sundae was a 7-4-3 triple play that Junior started on August 18.

Charlotte Monarchs (S306, 80-53, 1st place, +6 1/2, 100% chance)

Quite the turnaround this season for the Monarchs with the playoffs all but secured (they have a 6 1/2 game division lead but are 10 1/2 games ahead of the third-place WC team). Pitching has been solid, if unspectacular, across the board with Sonny Gray and Jonathan Papelbon the standouts. Chuck Klein is our offensive MVP, leading in AVG and RBI, while Michael Conforto has 22 HR and 67 OVR Larry Bowa would make a fine addition to any Bronze-only tournament team. Whoops, I've said too much!

Baltimore Orioles (G357, 63-70, 3rd place, 19 GB, 1.3% chance)

Damn the computer for giving this team a slight chance at the WC and forcing me to write about them! This team sucks, I must have the only George Sisler who can't hit .300, and even Babe Ruth has a minuscule two homers, less than he did last season.

South Side Lumber Company (S301, 70-64, 2nd place, 4 1/2 GB, 50.6% chance)

One month ago, this team was three games under .500 and spinning its wheels. But a few lineup tweaks and the addition of Red Faber sees the Lumber Co. now six games over .500 and in the second WC spot. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but an improbable playoff spot sure would be fun.

Thetford Mines Mineurs (B262, 88-45, 1st place, +21, 100% chance)

The Mineurs continue to pad their lead in the division, and have brought their magic number down to 9. They are headed for a collision course with the Perfect Team Perfect Teamers (remember them?) who, amazingly, have an even better 96-37 record. But we can handle them! Jose Vidro got on his bike and hit for the cycle.

Amarillo Gold Sox (S330, 70-64, 3rd place, 6 1/2 GB, 13.0% chance)

The Gold Sox have spiralled downward, turning a lead into a mere 13% chance of making the playoffs in just a few months. A classic case of peaking early. Van Lingle Mungo did have a Rocket game, though, striking out 15 in six innings.

Rottnest Island Quokkas (G359, 67-67, 2nd place, 4 1/2 GB, 12.3% chance)

Oh Quokkas - despite two sinkholes in the lineup (third base and catcher) the loveable little marsupials are still hanging in there. One thing I'll say about this team - alone amongst all the teams, they tend to have the pack luck. I'll usually open 5 packs this week, and the Quokks tend to average 2 golds in those five packs. This week it was Vladimir Guerrero fils (who delayed my search for another 3rd baseman) and Mark Mulder (who has been fair-to-middling but at least is better than the 2-9, 7.34 ERA effort from Clayton Kershaw who he replaced. Much like Van Mungo, Vida Blue also had a Rocket Game this season, striking out 15, this time in 7 IP.

*Only teams with a chance at the playoffs are listed. If you don't see your favorite team here, assume that they are crap this season.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb

Last edited by BigRed75; 09-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote