View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
Reed
All Star Starter

I appreciate that you are trying to come up with a simple spreadsheet to determine best hitter/pitcher. There are so many formulas for different things it is mind blowing. Exit velocity, trajectory, spin speed, range factor, position adjustment, etc, etc, etc..

When I was kid, I would grab the sports section and look at box scores and the league leaders. For hitters, the showed batting average, home runs, stolen bases, runs and rbis. So I always thought runs and rbis were an important indicator of a players hitting ability until I joined an online strat league. I quickly discovered that in evaluating players for trade purposes, RBIs and runs mean absolutely nothing. Being a math nerd and wanting to improve Instead of destroying my team, I started reading articles at Baseball Prospectus and another site that was really helpful (but I do not remember the site name now) and my eyes were open. For hitting (not considering speed or defense) I came up with my own simple formula that I used to compare hitters. (2 times on base percentage) + (slugging).
For pitchers I do not use wins or ERA. I look at (walks+hits)/IP and look at home runs allowed and strike outs.
Anyway, this works for me but use whatever you are comfortable with.

Last edited by Reed; 09-12-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote