View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTobiasFunke View Post
Well, I've made my staff/bullpen composed of all starting pitchers, based on the idea that the extra stamina means I can get by with a smaller bullpen and use my extra roster spots for pinch hitter/split lineups. Ideally, I'd be able to run a staff and bullpen with only 10 pitchers, which gives me 15 batters to choose for splits/pinch hitting (right now I have the extra bullpen arm because Satchel Paige has really low stamina, so that's just to keep everyone from yellowing out if Paige only goes a couple of innings). Of course, if you go this way you've got to be very selective about what starting pitchers you're choosing, because RP rating depend nearly wholly on the pitcher's two best pitches.

So you take someone like Vic Raschi for example. Three good pitches, decent starter, but because he has a 90 grade fastball and a 95 grade curveball, he gets a huge bonus to his reliever stuff rating, which makes him usable far longer than the average silver rated pitcher.

Once you've got a rotation built like that, then you can cycle out your worst performing pitchers after a decent sample size and throw in whoever is throwing lights out from the bullpen. At least, that's how it works when it works.

Pardon my newb question, but are you telling me there are different ratings for RP vs SP? I've used some starters as relievers, and vice versa, and noticed they pitched better as one or the other but never saw a change to any of their underlying ratings...

I've been confused by why some people in the forums suggest a starting pitcher as my closer (Raschi is just one example) and they seemed positive that he was a reliever, but I was confued because it says SP on the card...
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote