View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas80s View Post
Hello all,

New to the game, obviously and I have plenty of questions, but I'll put a few down and hopefully one of you vets can provide a little insight.

I am running a league using real players but mixed from different eras and all on different teams.

1. My team has no captain, do I appoint one? I don't see a way to do it. I am tempted to put one of my best players, who is at least relatively popular with the team, but all of the suggested guys are more role players.

2. I figured out how to expand my roster for spring training. Do I do one cut down to 25 right before opening day? Or, should I send guys down earlier if I know they won't make the team? Is there any advantage to that? Should I be releasing players now if I see no future for them with the team?

3. One game into spring training and I have a chemistry problem. What can I do to address that? I can read about it, but I don't see a place to really do anything.

I'll just start with that. There is a lot to take in with this game, but it's really well done. Thanks for reading and thanks very much for any thoughts or ideas you might be willing to share.

Jeff
captain is a personality trait, not an assigned position. this also addresses issue #3, of poor chemistry. the more good or normal people you have with good work ethics, GENERALLY the better team chemistry is. (if you wanted - you could go into commissioner mode and edit personalities (or anything else really)

i'd keep the people on your spring training roster until a couple of days before opening day, even if they aren't going to make the team, just to give them an outside chance. when to release or trade people you don't think will help is really a personal thing. don't know if there is a rule of thumb that works. Me, i dump them when i have a chance to get someone better or have a free agent that'll signs with me. Otherwise, i keep them - so my minors are full ... incomplete minor leagues is a pain to me.

hope this helps. Lots of different view and perspectives in this game, and this isn't gospel or anything, just how i play my game. good luck and enjoy.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote