View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #26
Foppa21
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Bell View Post
NHL general managers are responsible for the on ice product. They aren't involved in marketing, or day to day business functions of the teams.

NHL GM's do send players down and recall players. That's their job. They shape the team. Sure, they take advice from staff but it's their decision.
I had more a picture of certain people in mind at my explanations. Some NHL GMs are listed only at the direction hockey operations and focuses only on the on ice product as you mentioned, maybe it's the most I did not check it all :-) But some others are also listed at the executive staff. It depends seemingly on the individual organizational structure of each NHL franchise. It seems like some are only GMs, others have more roles as Executive VP or Alternate Governor and so on. I don’t know if this is something NHL specific or not. But I see what GMs in European hockey leagues and also in other sports do and a big part is to increase the revenues. It is not only putting a winning team with good players together. It is also focus on resources to provide a fun fan experience, whatever that means around the game in particular. If a team wins, it is much easier to attract fans willing to buy tickets. We all know that. If the GM's fails to attempt to assemble a winning team he may instead focus on resources to provide a fun fan experience in other ways. The GM can work with promoters to arrange for entertaining acts to perform during breaks and so on. Players will be also called upon to take part in some marketing outreach. But I'm not really interested in the definition of the GM. If it isn’t the GM which have to look after many of the tasks, why not creating other roles like President, VP, (Alternate) Governor, whatever, to increase the all-around experience of FHM?
Foppa21 is offline   Reply With Quote