View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
yaremchuk
Bat Boy

Goal/Assist Ratio and Playmaker Influence

Just a couple thoughts from the time I've spent playing around with Build 57 on my Mac. Perhaps some of the others can chime in with their thoughts on these issues as well.

It seems that when starting a new 2013-14 season, the default goal-assist ratio for most players is off, in that players do not accumulate as many assists on an equivalent number of goals as in real life.

For example, Steven Stamkos regularly posts seasons of 50+ goals and less than 20 assists. Likewise, players such as Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton and Nicklas Backstrom post stats such as 25 goals and 30-35 assists.

Now, it's one thing just to tweak the balance on that. But what I've found so far is that goal-scorers seem to drive the statistics of other linemates, while playmakers do not do the same.

For example, Teddy Purcell posted back-to-back 50+ assist seasons because he was on a line with Steven Stamkos, but the linemates of Sidney Crosby seem to score no more often than they would playing with any other center.

Lastly, it also seems that the top players accumulate points not much more often than other players, but rather that they end up with higher point totals simply because they have more ice time. For example, if I switch Nazem Kadri and Jay McClement on the Leafs line-up, Kadri's statistics decrease, and McClement's increase nearly to what Kadri was previously producing.

Just some thoughts on how these issues work in the beta right now. Do think it's going to be a terrific game, and cannot wait to see how it continues to develop as you work out the kinks!