View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
julius
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the question and info. I also have a number of questions on the attribute rating system and how they translate into player/team performance. I realize that it is early yet, and that further tinkering is on its way, but in random order here are some of them.

1. Do physical or mental attributes have any impact on the overall star rating for a player, or does that overall rating only incorporate offensive and defensive skill ratings? Obviously the physical and mental attributes should affect that player's performance, but it is not clear whether this is omitted from the star rating. I am not arguing necessarily that it should, since I don't mind doing a bit of digging for this info, but it would be good to know.

2. On a related question, are the physical. mental and other attributes factored into the individual offensive and defensive skill ratings? For example, does each player's hitting rating attempt to factor in a player's size, speed, strength and aggression ratings, or is this just a measure of that player's technical hitting skill. A small, weaker, mild player may have good technical hitting skill, its just that he is unlikely to use it and won't be effective if he does. In this case, does the hitting rating reflect those physical and mental factors, or does the program bring those features in separately?

3. It is not clear what certain ratings mean, particularly for players in different positions. For example, each defenceman is rated for face-offs, and I am not sure what this means for any player on the ice other the two players who are actually involved in taking the face-off draw. If it simply refers to a player's technical skill at winning a face-off draw, it really shouldn't be a factor in how a defenceman, for example, is rated in this skill (unlike for a centre, who may have to use this skill regularly). However, it remains part of the defensive ratings for each player and will affect how their star ratings are calculated (I assume). Can the ratings for each player be adjusted to discount the importance of certain ratings for certain positions? Other examples would include the "screening" skill, which may be important for forwards but is rarely used by defencemen (unless this can refer to their ability to prevent screening by opposition forwards), the "shot-blocking" skill (more important for defencemen I think) and the "getting open" skill (more important for forwards). I am curious as to whether the game incorporates an algorithim which adjusts the relative importance of these attributes in calulating the overall ratings (and in-game performance) for forwards and defencemen, or are all attributes given equal weight regardless of position.

3. I realize that some of the ratings have been artificially adjusted to reflect differences between forwards and defencemen, most notably the shooting range attribute, which is consistently higher (longer?) for defencemen than forwards. I am sure this is done to reflect the fact that most defencemen will score their goals from further out than forwards, but it isn't an elegant solution. For example, if we play that defenceman in a forward position, and adjust for him playing out of his main position, does he not still possess a significant shooting range advantage over every other forward in the league simply because he was rated so much artificially higher for this as a defenceman? Again, results are what matter, but I am trying to understand how this factors into the game.

I have other questions, but will stop here before I wander too far astray. Please don't take these comments as any sort of criticism. I think FHM has enormous potential and I am sure that we all welcome the chance to provide some input at this stage of the process.
julius is offline   Reply With Quote